Head Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Question

I have been reading various posts regarding performance upgrades and what they've been good for (HP/ Torque wise)and I had a thought....I have heard that 8 valve heads are better for low end torque and 16 valve heads are better for top end breathing. is there a 16 valve haed that will bolt onto the XS jugs? I mean hell, these beasts are'nt hurting for grunt, so maybe...help them breathe a little better. what the hell, I mean what's the worst that could happen, right?
    I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

wow

someone else with some ingenuity. I have been looking into the same thing lately. I was looking at the fj1200, the only diff. I can see is the front and rear headbolts(there are 2 as opposed to 1 on the xs11 in center). also the cam sprockets would need attention....my 2 cents
    MDRNF
    79F.....Not Stock
    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Good to know I'm not the only outside the box (because I'm always trying to get in) odd lot, cosmic concept thinker in the world! Let me know what you find as I am probably a long way away from getting into something like that (SWMBO doesn't like to give me money for frivolous persuits as it were). but it might be fun to try someday.

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Hey, I just had a thought, two actually. What if you took the fj1200 head and the jugs...if the head will fit the xs bolt pattern, the jugs should also, right? and secondly, what kind of attention would the cam sprockets need?

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

XS~FJ

Having one of each in my garage, and having been into them both, I don't think that the swap would work. I don't know what the head bolt spacing is on them, but I do know that the FJ engine rotates CCW where the XS is CW, and the XS cams are lubed by the steel oil pipe that runs up the back of the head, and the FJ cams are lubed via a port in the cylinder and head castings.

Comment

chimin'

I'm glad someone chimed in. I was wondering about that myself. Do you think the fj12 jugs could be machined to take the xs11's lube tube? JAT.....
            MDRNF
            79F.....Not Stock
            80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Why don't you put the xj12 engine on the xs frame? Won't fit? Make it fit! Sometimes you just have to say...an xs11...is what it is.
              79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
              79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Chop

The guy that rebuilt Zilla is an FJ1200 expert. He races them in Legend cars and rebuilds about 100 engines per year.

He already thought of trying the FJhead on an Eleven and it simply can't be done without some major mods and even then doubtful.

However he sugessted if I wanted that...to simply instll an FJ1200 motor in my Eleven frame. It would be much more simple. The only drawback for me is I would be able to keep the shaft. But if you are going to chain drive any way it would be no big deal.

Here's the catch. If you do that then you won't have an XS Eleven.

As for me and my house...we will serve XS!

Comment

Working...
                X