no sparks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no sparks

I have no sparks on one of my79 xs1100SF first it acted like it got no fuel. now it will not start all; not even a semblance. tested ignition unit, coils, and rectifier/igniter using these parts from my other working 79 xs1100SF. the whole thing started with the engine stalling at light. would not start it kept sputtering. waited a little and it did start. rode for a mile and i was convinced it was fuel starvation substanciated with not fuel moving in the lines(clear ones) took carb apart, reinstalled and the bike started right up. took it out for a spinn a couple hundred yards it started to starve out; backed off the throttle and limped back home. tried to start it the next day, NOTHING, not even a semblance.

HELP, PLEASE

CHAKLI

have you checked fuel flow by opening the carb bowl drains and going to prime? Check your pickup coil wires, but it sounds like fuel. Make sure that you have good flow for each carb.
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

Comment

Sparks

I ran out of sparks the other day.
      I usually try to carry some spares, but they were in my other jacket.
      Turns out it was the plugs on the TCI needed cleaning.
      XS1100SF
      XS1100F

Comment

Check the "Tech Tips" from the MAIN page. You may have a problem with the pickup coils. Just a guess.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I agree with the guys above about ignition - could be pickup coil wires (easy to check), TCI connectors, or even ignition coils (under the tank). It's even possible it could be the emergency shutoff doohickey under the tank (for when you don't keep the shiny side up)..but the symptoms aren't consistent with that switch going out methinks.
          1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
          1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
          http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

unless there is dirt in the tipover switch, I don't see how that could cause a problem. I just did my pickup wires and I think there is another break in the wire. That is probably your problem too.
            Acta Non Verba

Comment

Well...if the tipover switch is removed and installed much later...in the upside down position...it will cause the bike not to fire.... don't ask... let's just say several hours wasted pouring over the wiring schematic...
              1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
              1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
              http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

WOW, thats funny. You know, thats why up is printed several times on it. I do know how you felt when you did that. In fact, I am sure we all have at one point in time. The other day I put the swingarm back on the new 80G. Only after everything was on, including the FD, and the u joint was bolted to the MD did I realize that Something was missing. THe rubber boot was laying underneath the bike. Believe me, when you are tired it takes forever to redo everything.
                Acta Non Verba

Comment

As for the tipover switch, they can and do wear to the fault point. If you've ever taken one apart, you'd know that it's constructed of two rails with a sliding donut on the rails. The rails have insulation on them so the donut will only make the circuit at the very ends of the rails (fully tipped over). The trouble comes when the insulation wears through, just a matter of time for these switches. Unplug it and throw it in the trash.

Comment

Working...
                  X