Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting this old bike

whats up,

I got this 1979 xs1100. It has been sitting for awhile.

So I took the carbs out cleaned real good. put some fresh gas into the carbs w/o the tank(b/c it is rusted). I got spark, compression and fuel. I changed the oil. Air filter is cleaned.

When I try to start it, I can see the ignition motor spinning (it is missing the cover) It got a couple of backfire, I can tell it is missing something to start. I also noticed there was smoke near the positive terminal of the battery, but not on the battery itself.

The battery doesnt hold a charge too well. Well it does, but not the polarity. So i hooked it up to a non-running car's battery, that should give it enough to start.

Any input helps!

Pat

Smoke coming from anything electrical, and especially from anywhere near a battery, is not a good thing. Make sure all four of the battery connections are spotlessly clean (i.e. where each cable attaches to the battery, where the positive attaches to the solenoid, and where the negative attaches to the frame). I once saw an arc approx 1/2" long from the head of the screw that attaches the negative cable to the frame because there was corrosion between the frame and the end of the cable. A spark that long at one of the battery terminals could cause a very nasty explosion.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Any electric spark is not a god thing. I would say that the wiring on these bikes are not their greatest asset. Make sure the battery is clean like said. Even a little dirt and corrosion can drain a battery after a couple of days. Check all of the wiring for shorts behind the fuse panel. Did you get it to run? If you didn't, make sure you are getting good fuel flow by opening one float bowl drain at a time to check for adequate gas. An old oil jar with a nozzle from a hypoid gear oil bottle works well for temporary fuel source. You may want to go ahead and check the pickup coil wires for breaks just in case that is the problem. There may be some junk that was not removed from the carbs. Eventually you will probalby end up cleaning the carbs again anyway.
      United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
      If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
      "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
      "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
      Acta Non Verba

Comment

"Now this is scarey!"

put some fresh gas into the carbs w/o the tank(b/c it is rusted)
        Oh, many questions. Tell me how you put gas in the carbs without using the tank. Did you hook up an auxillary fuel tank... Or just put some gas in the float bowls and cleverly screw them back in place? (Yes, I am serious)
        We are not there, so have no idea what's going on. From what you write, it seems that you say there's fuel in the carbs, but that there's no fuel source hooked up. Yes, it should run provided there's enough fuel available, but this no one knows.
        It could be backfiring due to not enough fuel... but also intermitant spark, which could easily be a by-product of the faulty electrical situation.
        A bad battery could also be your main problem. It needs to crank at a certain speed to draw fuel. Crank too slow... bike no start.
        As suggested by Ken, you should clean ALL the electrical connections before proceeding further, as that may be the main culpret, and if not, then you'd be able to rule it out as a cause of trouble.

The battery doesnt hold a charge too well. Well it does, but not the polarity
        OH, I'm really scared how!
        We may be having a problem with the translation of terms, here.
        Polarity doesn't change. Now... I'm not suggesting anything.. But is the positive cable hooked to the positive on the battery? Just checking... but don't think I haven't seen it before. If the battery holds a charge, there would be no reason to jump it.
        Might I suggest, as the bike has been sitting for a while and the battery is obviously old, that a new one be purchased before moving forward.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

yeah, that "polarity" thing was a little confusing.
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

i just poured fuel into the fuel lines.

It did sound like it was cranking a bit too slow. I am going to get a new battery.

I am gonna pressure wash it soon so everything will be nice and clean.

Thanks all.

Comment

Try the oil bottle trick. It works a LOT better. Plus, you can make two of them and 1 qt of gas will last plenty long to sync carbs or whatever.
              Acta Non Verba

Comment

For just testing, you can also use an old fuel tank off a lawn mower. Hook it up with a short piece of hose into a T fitting, then each end of the T to the feed lines for left and right sides.
                Ken Talbot

Comment

Sweet stuff. Before I buy a new battery (group 18), I am gonna try to use my friends (group 12) and see if that helps.

Comment

"Egads... a foreigner!"

Ignition motor...?
                    group 18 and group 12?

"Kill the outsider!"
                    Patpatpat... Please update your signature or profile, so that we can see where you live so we can mock you better... I mean... understand and help you better.

Pressure wash is fine, just stay away from the wheel bearings and electrical doodads.
                    A new battery makes a world of difference. cranking speed is important.
                    Auxillary fuel tanks, as already mentioned, can also make one quickly from an old coolant overflow tank from a car.
                    After fixing your electrical problem, and with a fresh battery, I'm sure it will fire right up.

Comment

After fixing your electrical problem, and with a fresh battery, I'm sure it will fire right up.
                      Hmmm... I know this is cyber-space, but did I detect a roll in your eyes when you said this?? (Kind of like those dolll's eyes when you dance with them in the moonlight)

Tod
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

"Why, I never...!"

Now TRBIG, whatever do you mean?
                        I merely meant that once the electrical problem is taken care of, I can only assume that he will have no more troubles.
                        If I were insulting someone, I usually do so in a manner that would leave no doubt in their addled brain that I have done so. (From personal experience, you should recall this)
                        As Patpatpat is a new member, I must give him the benefit of the doubt as to his competancy and not belittle him till I know him better.
                        Not everyone makes as fun of a target as you do!

Comment

Carbs

I have seen lots and i mean lots of guys say they cleaned th carbs well or really good and not even know what the emulsion tubes are or where they are located. My suggestion would be to go to the maintentance section and read up ,lots of good info there
                          Doug
                          Doug Mitchell
                          82 XJ1100 sold
                          2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                          2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                          1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                          47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Re: Carbs

Originally posted by mitch
                            I have seen lots and i mean lots of guys say they cleaned th carbs well or really good and not even know what the emulsion tubes are or where they are located.
                            Aren't those located near the uterus?
                            1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                            1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                            http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

above and to the right...called keeping abreast of things
                              Doug
                              Doug Mitchell
                              82 XJ1100 sold
                              2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                              2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                              1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                              47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Working...
                              X