Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Widening the rear rim & modifying the swingarm.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widening the rear rim & modifying the swingarm.

Has anyone widened their standard XS 11 rear rim, and to what width can you go? Also how must you modify the indent on the swingarm (on the shaft drive side), to fit the wider rim and tyre combination. And lastly what width tyre is best suited for that rim width.

Thanks,
    Evil Eric.

The big 3.
    '78 Yamaha XS 1100 E (one standard + one modified)
    '92 Suzuki GSXR 1100 N
    '06 Suzuki GSF 1200 S Bandit
    The BIG 3.
    '78 Yamaha XS 1100 E (one standard / one modified)
    '92 Suzuki GSXR 1100 N

None of what your wanting to do can be done safely or other wise. See you have two other bikes that are designed for those types of riding. Your pretty much goona have to accept and appreciate the XS's for what they were and are. I know, kinda sounds like I'm on a 'soap box', but those that are trying to make what Yamaha admitted years later as the toughest most durable air cooled motorcycle engine ever built then or now into something that frame geometry will never meet should accept the fact that aside from a fork brace, some spring and dampening mods to bring the handleing somewhat on an equal plane with the power so these bikes will go straight and fell 'planted' while riding, they should be enjoyed for what they are, with limitations. That's why I own a Honda ST, classified as the the best 'do it all well' bike, twisties beyond what most have nerve for, horsepower enough to raise your 'pucker' factor, 45 to 50+mpg at 80+mph all day long, and smootness and quiet to do that 300+miles between fuel stops. Just my opinion, and not worth 2cents to some, but as others here also with 40+years of riding of all kinds, does carry some merit.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

About the only way your gonna get a wider tire back there is to convert to a chain drive. Do a search and see what you come up with.
      S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
      1-big XS patch
      1-small XS/XJ patch
      1-XS/XJ owners pin.
      1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
      2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
      1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
      1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

I agree with motoman ... if you over modify the bike it really is no longer an XS1100... it's a custom bike that makes use of an XS11 engine. I am currently working on 2 bikes. one will be an as off the factory floor version and the other will be the one I modify for my taste in appearance and ride.
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

wide tire

if you want to keep the shaft drive and go wide. look into a ROYAL STAR swingarm. you will have to do a modifiaction, such as MATHH's but it will work. If you are not worried about the cost, go that route.I believe he has a 180 tire(radial) and that is perfect...If you want to go chain, I will be selling a custom shaft housing and shaft before summer hits.This will allow you to put on a bigger wheel/rim.....chop
          MDRNF
          79F.....Not Stock
          80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for the response. It is nice to see guys so passionate about their (these) bikes. Rest assured I am one of you. I have two of these beasts ('78 E's). The one is 110% original in pristene condition, and I belong to a national vintage motorcycle association. My original one is one of the best (if not the best) examples in SA. My other one I 'play' with, by seeing what can be done to bring this excellent - but dated - package a little more up to date without destroying the core of the bike. By-the-way, this bike is also in mint condition.

Yes, there is three routes open, (1) convert to chain. I had a Yamaha converted to chain some 20+ years ago. It had 133 bhp on the back wheel - awesome and scary! (2) stay with shaft but fit later model Yamaha / Suzuki 3-spoke wheel. I am looking at that as well. (3) Widen the original rim - hench this thread. Widening of the rims have been done in SA for many years and are safe when done correctly. Possibly most easiest option. But thanks, now there is a fourth option. change the swingarm. Will look into that one too.

Basically, you will be surprised how well these bikes react to a good set of 43mm forks up front, 17" front wheel with good brakes. It is the back that is the challenge.

Some more comments and thoughts will be highly appreciated!
            The BIG 3.
            '92 Suzuki GSXR 1100 N

Comment

Re: Widening the rear rim & modifying the swingarm.

Originally posted by evileric
              Hi guys,
              (3) Widen the original rim - hench this thread. Widening of the rims have been done in SA for many years and are safe when done correctly. Possibly most easiest option.
              Widening the original rim is possibly the easiest route as drive and brakes will remain unaltered. I have seen these conversions often and when you search deep enough you will find pictures of them on this site too, as well as on the Uk and the Dutch site.
              Normal widening will be going to 4.00, with extra work you can mount 4.5 in the back. Recommended is to change the 17 inch diameter to 18 inch as the height of the bike will remain the same. However 17 inch will provide use of better tires.
              XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
              MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
              Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
              Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
              Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
              Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

I've wondered how much room (clearance) there is between the inside of the left side swingarm and the inner shaft? I haven't had mine apart. My idea is to make the indent just a bit depper and of thinner material, just an additional .25"left side clearance would allow a .5" wider wheel. To make up for the thinner side of the inner swingarm I would add an under-slung swingarm brace often found on period bikes. If I could get a 140/70/17" radial in the rear I would be happy, the wheel would only be 3"/17" I currently have a 5.10/17" on the standard 2.50" wheel.
                Cheers, 50gary

Comment

Yes, that sounds good! I am looking to open the rear rim up to 4 inch, also running a 140 / 150 rear tyre. I want to run a 3 inch front with it (110 front tyre). The Honda NSR / CBR 250 / 400 runs a 3 inch front with 6 spokes against the standard Yamaha XS wheel with 7 spokes. The wheel design is similair and will not look bad together, i.e. widened XS rear rim (4") and a Honda CBR front rim(3").
                  The BIG 3.
                  '92 Suzuki GSXR 1100 N

Comment

pics

here are some pics I borrowed from the german XS club: http://www.xs1100-frw.de

this wheel is actually wider because it carries a wider rear tire which involved even more work, but just to give you an idea because it looks really nice:

Last edited by Mathh; 12-25-2009, 11:13 AM.
                    XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
                    MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
                    Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
                    Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
                    Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
                    Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

another swingarm

the all too cheap and available Hayabusa swingarm is a good choice if your doing a chain drive conversion. It is 9.25 inches from the pivots. I just checked one out today. The hayabusa front end is an easy swap too for the xs11(just need a special top bearing) ....I will be offering an adjustable chain drive conversion housing with bearings ($250)that will be perfect for a hayabusa or R1 swingarm.....chop
                      MDRNF
                      79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Chop!! Got a pic of this classy sounding unit?? Sounds good!

Comment

That sounds good. First prize for me is to stick to the shaft drive, but there is many plusses with chain drive, provided it can be done relatively cheaply, as it would be the most expensive of the three options I have mentioned at the beginning of the thread.

Yes, have you got some photos of the set-up! What chain size, and front sprocket size would you run?

Rgds,
                          Eric.
                          The BIG 3.
                          '92 Suzuki GSXR 1100 N

Comment

Ev, you CAN do a chain conversion dirt cheap with handtools like my setup(depends on availability of parts and pieces) cost me probably 600 bucks or so, but takes time and elbow grease...

Comment

no pic

the drive unit is a 1-piece and is being made for my current project. I thought ahead and designed it to be adjustable so many different swingarms can be used....will post pics when it is done.....
                              MDRNF
                              79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Working...
                              X