Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xtra parts

Hey all;

I have an 80 XS1100G Special that I bought last spring. It is in good shape. I'd like to keep it awhile and am looking for advice on what xtra parts I should "stock up" on because of future availability issues. Any thoughts?

I have a novice mechanic but not afraid to dig in. This site is great for me because of the tremendous help everyone offers and the clear pics. As soon as it warms up a little (expecting low 40's this weekend), I hope to take a closer look at the elec. connections, etc to try to avoid a breakdown this spring. I ordered an oil filter adapter and fuse box from T.C. and am picking up tons of good info on this site. As I mentioned, I'd also like to start stocking up on some parts to stay ahead of the game.

Thanks for your help!

Joz
    1980 XS1100SG

“You start the game with a full pot o’ luck and an empty pot o’ experience... The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.”

Only a Biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

A good way to pick up a few spare parts is to just buy a whole parts bike. You should be able to find one for no more than $200 or so, and be able to take what you need off of it. Then you'll start thinking if you could only track down a couple of parts, the 'parts bike' could turn into a runner and you would have two. Then you look for another parts bike, just because. And wallah, you're on your way!
    Ken Talbot

Comment

But Ken, then where would I store my "fleet"..haha.

Would the parts off any "special" be compatable to my "80"? Or would I need to look for my year?

Thanks!
      1980 XS1100SG

“You start the game with a full pot o’ luck and an empty pot o’ experience... The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.”

Comment

I have an 80 XS1100G Special

Hi Joz...
        Welcome to XS land.

I realize every XS is "special"
        So.... you have a "G" or "SG" ???

As fer parts, Ken pretty much nails it.
        !st parts bike I got turned into a "project", and it needs parts...
        2nd parts bike was wrong model/year.
        But that's OK cause some parts are interchangeable.
        #3, 4, and 5 I think I got because price was right and had room in my shop.
        #6 is a special (which is what I'd been looking for as parts for my project)

Some where along the line got a 80/82 hot rod XS...

Now I'm a little "space challenged" . New shop I moved to is 1/3 the size of old one and have a couple of "guests" at home which I hope is just temporary. Have been resisting the urge to build another shed in the back yard for storage......

The XS is properly named.
        Easy to become XSive.

mro

Comment

so mro, you're saying this is an "addiction"? I'm starting to feel hooked, in a good way. I guess I'll work out the space issues later.

My bike is an 80 GS.

Are many "special" parts interchangable between years, or should I look for certain years as parts bikes?

Also, what parts on these bikes are very hard to get?

I'm thinking electrical parts, etc. I see lots of stuff on ebay, so I know there are alot of parts for my bike for sale, but it makes more sense (as per Ken) to buy the whole bike vs. getting nickled and dimed with lots of individual parts + shipping.

thanks,

Joz
          1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Keith,

Essentially all of the engine components are interchangeable, it's the cosmetics that don't swap as easily. The electrics are also different among different years, the 81 series vs. the 78-80, different TCI and timing plate assembly. The carbs can be swapped amongst all years even though there are differences, as long as you swap the entire bank, otherwise, try to get similar years 78-79 or 80-81 for spare parts specific for your machine. The vacuum advance module is also Not availble.

Looking at the severe engine wear scenario, standard oversize pistons are NOT available, so a big bore kit is useful when the cylinders and rings wear out. Replacement rod and main bearings are hard to prebuy unless you tear down the engine and get the codes from the main caps and end rods.

The Alt is another weak spot, both in it's power generating ability, as well as replacement. An better aftermarket Reg/Rect is currently available from Geezer.

A few of the electrical components can be bypassed or replaced, with similar but not exactly working the same, like the turn signal flashers, loose the self cancelling feature. Can bypass the RLU when it goes bad, and just throw out the safety/tipover kill switch.
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

You "temporarily" have to remove the wife's car from the garage to make room for working on the bikes. Thereafter and for evermore, you always are working (officially) on one of the bikes. It is called squatter's rites.

Originally posted by kjoslin
              But Ken, then where would I store my "fleet"..haha.
              Thanks!
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Good idea, but I might as well bring my sleeping bag!!
                1980 XS1100SG

Comment

And there's a problem with that?
                  Pat Kelly
                  <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                  1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                  2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                  1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                  1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                  1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

It is called squatter's rites.

Originnally posted by Joz
                    so mro, you're saying this is an "addiction"? I'm starting to feel hooked, in a good way.
                    "addiction"? ....nope...just XSive

Would be nice to have my garage back.
                    Once upon a time it had but my humble stuff in it. Now barely enough room to squeeze the 80G in it.

mro
                    btw, ie...parts...
                    side covers and oem exhaust seem to be in short supply. Do see em for sale here and there and the price varies a lot.

Comment

Are many "special" parts interchangable between years, or should I look for certain years as parts bikes?
                      Check out the XS Part Number Finder it'll tell you which parts are exactly the same across XS1100, 850 & 750 models. Also has the parts microfiche and 1,500 photographs of XS1100 parts.
                      Brian
                      XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
                      Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

thanks Lamric...great resource!
                        1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Working...
                        X