No announcement yet.

Mysterious Oil Leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the threaded plug idea. I think that's what I will do with mine as well and be done with it once and for all.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Leak apparently solved!

Well,

I finally put the O-ring modified SOFA back on a few days ago, and let it cure a couple of days. Then I filled it back up with new oil, new filter, had already put the new oil galley O-ring back on the plug and back into place, ALT back on. I had pressure washed the outside around the tranny pan, ALT, and SOFA last night to remove much of the old residual oil spray.

Started it up today, drove it for several miles, it still amazes me how fast it will get up to 90mph in 4th ! Brought it back home, and let it sit on the centerstand.

I then proceeded to fire up the air compressor, impact wrench, and get the jack, jackstands, and Tire Iron, and did a tire rotation on my Cage, the fronts were starting to get rounded shoulders due to my aggressive rounding of corners at optimal speed!

Then Windexed the headlight lenses on cages and bike, the AUX lights, mirrors, etc.! After an hour, there was NO sign of any oil leakage from the bike, tranny pan was nice and dry as was the ALT cover, SOFA, etc.! Now I can concentrate on some of the other mods I want to do to it.

I picked up a nice Diamond Plate Storage box from Northern Tool the other day, it will make a nice Luggage Rack Box mounted behind me and up and between the saddlebags. I'll be reworking my backrest and making a luggage rack type framework to connect the saddlebag supports and provide the support for my backrest, and the Storage box, and extra Brake lights since the box will prevent it from showing from the back of the backrest! Photos to follow in another thread!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hello,
        Just wondering what size tap and plug?
        Thanks,

Originally posted by trbig View Post
        I don't know how many of those o-rings on the galley plug I have replaced, and they never seem to last. I have finally had enough.. I am going to pull the galley plug, and in behind the plug where it narrows up, I am going to tap and install one of these allen plugs like I did to the YICS tubes on my head..

I have no idea why they didn't make a better system than that plug... you don't ever need in there for anything. I'm so sick and tired of the oil all over my right boot... but it does help keep my boots waterproofed for when it rains! lol. I even tried to put a wad of cardboard under the alt cover to keep the plug pushed in good and tight... still didn't help. I tried Yamabond, teflon tape... nothing seems to stop it for long. I bet this will!!

Tod
        1979 XS1100SF "Sakura Natsuhiboshi"

Comment

I can't find his/Tod's/TRBIG's previous posts about the plugs he used, but I stated that the O-ring had an ID of 1/2" ~13mm, and that it was 3/32" thick. However, keep in mind that the plug it sits in has a recess cut into it to hold the O-ring so the outer diameter may be 14mm, or might be actually 13mm....1/2" since the O-ring gets compressed around the plug.

Hopefully Tod will see this and provide the EXACT size?
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hopefully Tod will see this
            He did.. lol.

Where that plug sits in the block, it's widened out. Where the bottom of that plug sits, there is a shoulder it butts up against and it narrows down considerably where it goes across to the other side of the motor. I did this a couple years and at least a couple motors ago and can't remember if I used the same size plugs that I have there in the pic. Those are what I use to block off the YICS orifices in the XJ head. I'll try to find out later this evening for you.

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Well.. That galley does narrow down, but not as much as I thought. I don't know the actual size of the plug I used... but I remember that I bought two of them because they were cheap and used one of them to tap the aluminum.. unscrewed it, wrapped some teflon tape around the other one and screwed it in. No more leaks.

Sorry not much help on the size.. but it was a standard size plug and I think it was the biggest one that the Ace Hardware sold in their little nuts and bolts bins.

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I'll grab a couple different sizes and see what works. Maybe something like 1/2"w x 3/8"l ...
                1979 XS1100SF "Sakura Natsuhiboshi"

Comment

Working...
                X