Dead G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead G

Brisk cruise to work this morning. Bike hicupped a couple times, hmmm, never did that before. 98 miles on the odo, switched to reserve just in case (usually 110-115 miles before switching). Pull into my parking space and she shuts down. Hmmm, thats not good. Turn key off and back on, everything lights up and she fires right off, and dies. No horn, no neutral light and no start, but the radio is still playing. Quick check main fuse, all ok (figured that since radio still played), check voltage at battery, ok there to. Flip kill switch back and forth a bunch of times, still dead. No voltage to any fuses. Soooooo, luckey thing is it died at work, have 26ft truck with lift gate to get the dead rig back to the house. But I truly hate electrical issues. Figuring the infamous brown wire to ign switch fried, orrrrrrr, kill switch malfunction, orrrrr, and I hate this one, broken wire between battery and switch. Does it sound like I am on the right track?
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

No voltage to any fuses and radio plays?

Comment

Radio plays...

Radio is probably connected to the Aux fuse seperate from the fuse block, just to the left of the fuse block.
      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
      Drilled airbox
      Tkat fork brace
      Hardly mufflers
      late model carbs
      Newer style fuses
      Oil pressure guage
      Custom security system
      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Gettin' fired up about NO FIRE!

Hey Webb,

What type of fuses? Glass? Don't just LOOK at them, pull them, and test them with ohmmeter. They can look good, but still be bad! Especially the MAIN FUSE!

IF main fuse truly good, then go and pull key ignition switch and check contacts. The wires can come unsoldered! You may luck out and just need to resolder one!? The Kill switch would NOT kill all lights, just the ignition circuit, so the neutral/oil lights should have still lit. Use a voltmeter and wiring diagram, and verify you're getting power to the ignition switch. Good Luck!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I would first look at the brown wire feeding power to the ign switch from the main fuse. turn on the switch and the power is sent to all of the fuses, except the tail lights, via the light brown wire The blue wire on the ign switch powers up the running lights. All wire colors are according to my Clymers.

Comment

Replaced fuses with known good ones (still old school glass). Zero power to fuse box, radio runs off a fused tap from the battery, hence I could listen to tunes while doing a parking lot exam. OEM switch, gonna load 'er up, and dive into it this evening. (Even if it does start working, she's going home in the truck, murphys law ya know ). I let 'yall know what I find.

I do hate electrical problems!!!!!

Comment

You know, I have an issue rather similar to yours. every now and again I'll be riding down the street and poof! everything dies...usually at night. however, I found that somewhere up aroud the tach, I have a flaky wire. I do not even stop for it abymore, I just reach up over the gauges, grab the wiring and give it a shake. comes right back, no worries . yes I know, I need to re-wire the bike. anyway, check the wiring going into the tach, it may be totally unrelated but then again....
              I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Lorax,
                Nice that you finally posted a portrait.
                "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I'm glad you appreciate fine things....it's an older photo...I think I had it taken back in the '70s...my moustache isn't quite as bushy and I no longer have dark brown hair all over and I'm not shaped like a kidney bean anymore (now, I'm shaped like a pear tee hee). oh and I'm just a little grayer
                  I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Kinda looks like Jamie from Mythbusters

Comment

It lives!!!!

Update on dead "G". Quick check of battery connections and fuse box, all ok. Pulled fairing and tank, found red wire at ign switch connector fried. Removed wire from connector, cut and spliced in a new connector. All is well.
                      Its has been less than a year since I went thru every connector I could lay my hands on and clean them. Even hijacked wifes fingernail file to make a tool to get into the tight spots. I guess after 27 years the connector gave it up. New connector has die electric grease and marine shrink wrap on it.

Special thanks to all who piped in to help on this one. It is this kind of help that made this a 30 minute fix instead of possible hours, and makes this a primo forum.

Comment

Hey Webb

Boy, are the colors in my Clymers faded! The light brown wire I described is actually supposed to be red one! I'm glad you found it. Hey, what's the story with your clutch? Replace it yet, or will it make it up here?

Comment

Sure, blame it on faded pages. You just dont see as good as you 'usta.

Clutch has not reached critical mass, but close. Since I am coming up solo, I should be able to nurse it till the clinic. Slipage now starts around 5200, but only if I am on it hard. Gasket and springs should be here this week. Discs are "soaking" as we speak.

Just remember, I gotta ride this thing home, I screw something up and you guys are gonna have a new "bunkie".

Breakfast is at 7, right?

Comment

Breakfast?

That's cold pizza, and what ever left over beer in cups that don't have any cigarette butts in them.
                            Breakfast is when ever you show up with a bag full of Whataburger breakfast burritos. (Whataburger is just around the corner from here).

Comment

Working...
                            X