Breather tube/vent question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breather tube/vent question

This is my first post, and I've learned alot just browsing. I bought a 1980 1100G at a garage sale last month and am going thru the machine to get it road-ready by next spring. In going over it, I noticed the breather vent tube for the fuel tank taped up and crimped. I know it's supposed to hang free alongside the starter area, and when I untaped the tube it began to dribble gas. At first I thought it would stop, but it continued to drizzle gas into the container I had on the ground. Any thoughts on this? Also, it tends to bog down after about 15-20 minutes of running on the road.

The vent tube that exits the back of the tank just under the seat is an over-flow drain for the gas cap well. This drain goes from the fill well through the tank and out the back. The tank vent is in the cap.

If it is leaking fuel, there is a good chance the tube has rusted through and allowing fuel to drain from the tank. This is why it is crimped off, most likely.

I don't know of any quick fix for this, other than to plug the drain tube and live with it.

I guess it is possible to run a new tube, but theat would require some major tank surgery and repainting. It might be cheeper and simpler to find another tank (~$100.00 used).
    DZ
    Vyger, 'F'
    "The Special", 'SF'
    '08 FJR1300

Comment

Overflow response

Thanks for the response, Dennyz---As I go thru the bike I'm sure I'll be posting more help questions!

Comment

Working...
      X