Kick Start Lever interchangable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kick Start Lever interchangable?

Hi, I am missing a kick start lever for my 1979 xs1100, I was wondering if it is interchangable with a 1977 XS750.

Thanks

The lever from a XS triple will work. I was going to leave one on my E but it constantly was in contact with the sidecover or airbox (I forget which) and I didn't want the wear marks. Others on here use them.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I've been told you might have to use a lever from one of the XS triple specials.

Apparently they have a dogleg near the bottom of the lever which helps it clear the brake lever when fitted to an XS11.

Anyone know exactly which model special it is?

A permanent folding in lever is on my list for my project bike coz I don't want a big heavy battery.
      Tom
      1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
      1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
      1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
      1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

I have the 850 special lever on Swamp Thing. It has the dog-leg. As Pat kelly noted, it may rub on the air box chrome, but I reduced that by rotating the lever back a couple of notches. Works great.

Comment

On a bike that's already 565 lbs in nekkid trim, what difference will a # or so from the battery make? Stock battery is 14-15 lbs. A small 12v for a dirtbike is 6-7 lbs. You'd save more weight by keeping your gastank no more than half full (gas weighs 6 lbs per gallon).
          My E (unloaded) with the Pacifico fairing, hard bags and trunk, with a full tank of gas weighs 685 lbs. Add my bulk and gear for a roadtrip I was looking at over 1000 lbs. It will still cruise at 100 MPH or more all day. I've done it (but not all day ).

I'm not blasting anyone for modifying their bike. Just trying to show a different perspective.
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

LOL

Have to agree there Pat.

There are two reasons:

The weight issue, whilst not going overboard with this, if I shave a few pounds off here and there, not just the battery, it all starts to add up. Look at modern sports bikes, how light they've become over the years by manufacturers looking for a few onces here and there. I'm never going to turn an XS into an R1 but every bit helps

Now the real reason, I smashed the back end of the frame badly and am using this as a good reason to monoshock the back end, I'm (hope to) using cantelever monoshock (Vincent style), so where the shocker will be where the battery was.

The seat frame rails have been removed and I'm planning a single seat with racing style seat hump with the battery inside, I want to make this as light a fabrication as possible so a light battery would help.

I'm not blasting anyone for modifying their bike. Just trying to show a different perspective.
            Blast all you want mate! thats what we're on here for ain't it?

Nearly forgot, Thanks Randy
            Last edited by TomB; 02-14-2007, 06:29 AM.
            Tom
            1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg

Comment

Something like this?

This is on an XS750.
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

That looks really cool, but how are you going to use the inner fender?
                "It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees."

Comment

Yes Pat.

Nearly exactly like that

The only difference being that I plan to make an un-boltable brace for the swingarm and shocker, and use the original shocker mounts on the swing arm to bolt to, one of which (as we all know) is on the drive housing.

Also I plan to have the shocker bottom mount a lot higher up, so the shocker is nearly horizontal which will mean a lot less weight on the shocker.

I think

Looking at your pics, I might even get a battery under the shocker if I do have it nearly horizontal

Kurt, I was planning using a hugger which would fit inside the brace.

As I keep saying its all PLANS at the moment, I think it will evolve as I build.

Thanks for the pics Pat, food for thought

Tom
                  Tom

Comment

Those photos are from the XStriples site. That's someone elses project. I just passed them along for your perusal.
                    I do like the bracing for the swingarm. I think that is a mod I could live with.
                    As far as the monoshock set-up, I'm satisfied with what's stock on the XS. I'd just like some new Progressives (or preferably for me to lose 100 lbs).
                    Pat Kelly
                    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                    1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

As far as the monoshock set-up, I'm satisfied with what's stock on the XS
                      My other XS has a standard set up at the rear end, and as you say, I'm more than happy with it, the only reason I'm doing it like this is the frame back end is smashed and needs substantial work so I might as well have a play, see what I can come up with.

Any pictures, ideas, or critisisms are welcome from any source, it all helps, thanks.
                      Tom

Comment

How about splicing the back half of the frame from another bike. Something with a tube frame.
                        You're looking to go sportier so maybe the rear suspension and the frame it's mounted to from say a Ducati or BMW.
                        Pat Kelly
                        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                        1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

Pat you're a very bad man putting ideas like that in my head

I like it

Theres me all sorted on which way I'm going with my project

I'm going to have another look around with that in mind.

Thanks, I think
                          Tom

Comment

Are you sticking with shaft drive or converting to chain/belt?
                            Pat Kelly
                            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                            1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

Definitely shaft, I like the shaft.

I toyed with the idea of chain conversion as its easy to do and it opens up lots of variations of swingarms and rear suspensions I can use.
                              Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X