X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coils

What are the best coils for xs1100 and where can I get them. Thanks

coils

I like the dynatek coils. there is a thread here somewhere. Instant Cold Weather starting is a plus! and the power increase is noticeable too...my 2 cntz....
    MDRNF
    79F.....Not Stock
    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Hey John,

Welcome to the FORUM, and congrats on your apparent new acquisition! BTW, please edit your profile to include what MODEL type, Standard or Special....helpful when providing tech info!

I'm not trying to sound like I'm chastising you, but it looks like you may not have looked around the site much before posting!?

There is a plethora of tech tips, not just from the Link in the left hand yellow column, but directly from the MAIN FORUM PAGE, which talk about a variety of topics, INCLUDING fixing coils, or replacing them, and options for that. Regrettably, I thought I had posted the info about the coils available from MikesXS.com web site in with the other tech tips, but I apparently haven't yet!

However, there are also lots of discussion threads in this forum, and the search engine does work!

We do like to talk about problems and help folks solve tough problems, but it also gets old rehashing the same answers to the same questions!

But to answer your question, it's a matter of opinion and how much $$ you want to spend. You can get the high performance ones from Accel or Dyna, or you can get decent OEM type replacements for much less from MikesXS, the #17-6803 model.
      You'll need to bypass your ballast resistor since these coils are the 3 ohm 12 volt kind, whereas your 80 used the 1.5 ohm with the 1.5 ohm resistor. Your choice and your wallet!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey, TC, did you check out John's occupation in his profile? Too bad he wasn't around when you were building your shed!
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Build another one!

Alright, off topic a little
          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

Yeah, Ken,

Tenn. is a bit far for a contractor! I did offer to help Nashville Bill in doing the 2nd gear repair IF he drove down on an extended weekend!

And Andrew, NO!!!!! One is/was enough! As I said once I got it done, that I had/have great respect for Carpenters!!!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by HobbyMan
              Build another one!

Alright, off topic a little
              He might have coils in the shed
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

coils

where is the ballistic resistor located. I have searched the site for years but I have heard of several problems when the changed to high performance coils. Thanks

Comment

John,

Ballast resistor is under tank, above the #2 plug, bolted to the frame.

Comment

DynaTek

Hi John, welcome.

I changed from stock coils to 35,000 volt Dyna coils a couple of years ago. Like night and day. Make sure you get coils with low inpedance to use on our pointless ignitions. 3 ohm. I did not have to change anything else. I did have to fabricate a couple of very small angle pieces to mount them but the performance is worth the work. At the same time I installed ACCEL 8.8mm stainless wires.

Have fun!
                    Mike Giroir
                    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Working...
                    X