No announcement yet.

79 special rear brake cylinder needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 special rear brake cylinder needed!

Hi, I also posted this on the classifieds, so please excuse me if it is not cool to post here as well... I am having my 79 1100 special fixed... the rear master cylinder is not good, and neither is the one on my parts bike... anyone know of an extra one anywhere that is fully functional? I don't need pretty, but I am planning a couple of long trips this year and want to be able to stop (the bike, that is)... TIA!
    Dr. Tim Walters

Florida Atlantic University
    The Rats
    Full Flight Foundation, Inc.

"just put the trumpet down and slowly back away..."

"owned by a 79 XS1100 Special"

Andreas probably has something in his big pile'o'parts. Problem is, though, it will also be a used part and may or may not be much better than what you've already got.

When you say yours is not good, have you had someone advise you is is beyond being rebuilt? A good cleaning, and a few relatively inexpensive rubber parts, and your old unit will work as good at the day it was new.

The other thing that can cause problems is a tired brake line. The rear brake line has a couple of rubber section that beging to stretch and expand after 25 years of use, and this can lead to a loss of braking pressure to the pads. The fix for this is a new braided stainless line.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Jazzrat!!!!!!!!!! Where ya been man? I saw a bike for sale in FLA. last week and thought about you. I haven't seen you posting and wondered if you had sold your bike.
      "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
      1981 LH

Comment

hi all! I am getting ready to ride the 1100 to Huntsville AL in March, then on a long trip with my brother in May (Maine to Key West!)... my repair guy, who I trust, says the cylinders I have located already are pitted and he thinks they may leak, so I need to find a better one so he will feel comfortable using it... Andreas has emailed me that he has one, so I am going to go for it...
        Dr. Tim Walters

Florida Atlantic University
        The Rats
        Full Flight Foundation, Inc.

"just put the trumpet down and slowly back away..."

"owned by a 79 XS1100 Special"

Comment

Working...
        X