Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 Carb Float Adjustment

Hi guys,
    I am just about to fire my bike up, first time since 1994 or at least that's the last time she was registered. Anyway I need to adjust the float level. I have new needle valves and seats. The manual states to turn carbs upside down then raise the float till it just touches the needle valve. Most carbs i have done is you let the floats rest on the needles. So someone please verify that I raise the float then lower it till it just touches the spring portion of the valve, and measure the 23mm??? Thanks in advance, can't wait to get her back to life and to bring back memories I had way back in 1980 with my then new XS!!! Kim
    1980 XS100G Standard, Full Dresser
    1980 Honda CB125S
    1984 Honda Nighthawk 650
    1986 BMW K100RT
    2004 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic

From the OFF SITE Factory Pro CV carb tuning page:
    Float heights, unless otherwise specified in the installation guide, are measured from the "gasket surface" of the carb body to the highest part of the top of the float - with the float tang touching but not compressing the float valve spring.
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hi Kim

23mm works good on my 80G.
      Have noticed on just about every carb bank I've opened up that left and right lobes of float on several carbs have not been same height and had to tweak accordingly.

mro

Comment

Thanks, Guys, that is how I read it also. Just wanted to make sure. Also, I set the idle mixtures out 1 1/2 turns. Upom disassembly they wer almost all the way in from the factory as I had to drill the covers. Kim
        1980 XS100G Standard, Full Dresser
        1980 Honda CB125S
        1984 Honda Nighthawk 650
        1986 BMW K100RT
        2004 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic

Comment

Welcome to Emission Standards settings vs. performance tuning!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
          X