Sluggish starter when it's hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sluggish starter when it's hot

Hey Gruppe...has anyone else experienced a sluggish starter when the bike is fully warmed up? Especially after a long, steady ride? Several times I've stalled it out, usually in a precarious locale (sharply uphill lefthander onto a busy two lane comes to mind), and when I hit the the starter, I get: crank.......crank....crank........crank....crank crank WHOOM!
    Is this a common problem, and can I solve it? Is it heat-related resistance in the starter circuit? I'm anxious that the WHOOM! always prevent a WHACK! TIA
    ~LoHo~
    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Not on my XS, but on my 83 Venture Royale, I had the same problem. I took the starter apart and cleaned the commutator (I use the very fine scotch brite (gray colored)) and lubed the bushings/bearing (don't remember which it had) check the brushes (were OK) and cleaned and checked all electrical connections and made sure the grounding point was clean. It worked fine after that.
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

poor starting when hot

I had this problem, but the bike would not actually start when hot. It would turn over slowly. The problem was the stator, which had been banged in a close call on the freeway. I think it was not charging very well when running.
      80 XS11 Special

Comment

Hello LoHo,

I had the exact same problem. This could be a multiple issue problem.

Check the battery first. If it is weak or over two years old, replace it. Wally World has your battery for about $45.00. (I had a weak battery.)

Second, check and replace the brushes on the starter. They are probably worn beyond minimum limit. This is a very easy job to do. Take the starter apart and check. Once you install the new brushes, install clean all the parts in the starter. This is a must. There is probably build up of dust in the starter itself. (I had a bad pair of brushes also.)

Third, check the brushes in the generator. This is very easy. (My brushes were near the minimum limit. I just replaced early to eliminate future problems.)

I recommend, buy all the brushes first. They are pretty cheap, about $25 both the starter brushes pair and generator brushes pair. Once you get everything apart it is just as easy to replace everything.
        Norm
        XJ1100
        nhs1@comcast.net

Comment

Or you can do like I did on my '78E.... Get a kick start lever off an xs650, a few minor touches with a grinder to clear engine cases, a minor tweak on the rear brake lever and it looks like it is supposed to be there... and when it is hot, one or two kicks and Vrrooommm! Who needs that silly starter moter anyway, just extra weight to haul around
          If yours is a '80 or later, too bad, have ta fix the starter.
          buffalo
          80 XS1100SG

Comment

I have had this problem on other bikes, and cars also, is usually a combo of a weak starter and weak batery
            Tim

79 XS1100SF
            74 Suzuki T500
            74 Suzuki GT750 LeMans
            81 Kawasaki KZ 440 LTD

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
            - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
            X