Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vetter "Rooster" Fairing on a 1979 XS1100 Special ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vetter "Rooster" Fairing on a 1979 XS1100 Special ?

I recently purchased a vetter fairing off eBay and was very pleased with what I received...until I tried fitting it ot he bike. The first obstacle I ran into is the front blinkers that stick out horizontally from the headlight.

I understand that these screw on and theoretically could be removed, but I'm not sure what I'd do for front blinkers then.

I'd consider the possibility of drilling the appropriate size holes in the fairing to screw the light posts in THROUGH the side of it, however I'm not 100% positive that it is going to fit correctly in front of/over the handlebars if I did.

Does anyone have any experience with "rooster" model fairings? As I understand it, this model was the last one made before vetter stopped making fairings and they didn't make too many.

Despite the dust specks in the pictures, the paint job and fiberglass are in really good condition and it would match my special really well so I don't want to give up on it just yet.

By the way, I do have the windshield, chrome trim and speaker covers for the fairing, they just need some new adhesive as the original stuff dried up and they fell off.
    Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

How about removing the stock turnsignals. Replace them with bolts. Mount the rooster fairing. Then get some aftermarket turnsignals and attach them to the fairing. There are hunderds of different aftermarket turnsignals.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Kelly
      How about removing the stock turnsignals. Replace them with bolts. Mount the rooster fairing. Then get some aftermarket turnsignals and attach them to the fairing. There are hunderds of different aftermarket turnsignals.
      That's probably my best bet. I just wasn't sure how hard it would be to find and mount aftermarket signals in another location. I'll start looking around.
      Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

You might look for some that are surface mount like on current sportbike and mount them directly to the fenders.
        There are also mirrors that have the turnsignals integrated.
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Hi gaines,

Some of the European bikes used a short stemmed version of the same signal on a bracket mounted to the lower yoke (Tree?) ou can get some pics here- http://www.xs1100.co.uk/history.htm And the parts come up on e-bay.

AlanB
          If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Working...
          X