XS11 Shootout Articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS11 Shootout Articles

I notice in the Articles section there are many XS11 road tests. Were there any shootout tests or comparos done back then? If so can we get them on the site?
    1993 ZX11D
    1979 CBX
    1973 Z1
    2001 ZX12R

Here's one but it's not complete.

http://www.classicmechanics.com/bissue/2005-03.htm

I bought the mag to get the entire story. In the end the testers said they would pick the XS11 for everyday use and reliability. The 11 did very well given that the laverda was a VERY expensive import.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Thanks ,theres got to be more. Let see them
      1993 ZX11D
      1979 CBX
      1973 Z1
      2001 ZX12R

Comment

Ah the memories!!! In '78 I took delivery of a bright orange Laverda 1000 Jota. If I remember correctly, I dropped 'bout $4700 for the rig. It followed a line of Lav's I owned. Started out with a 750SF. I bought it when my Norton suffered a massive engine meltdown and the local Norton/BSA/Triumph dealer just picked up the line and was anxious to get some on the road. The 750 was dissapointment after the Norton. It had better brakes, handled very well but was a slug. Moved up to a 1000 Lav soon after. I had it for 2 weeks when I was rearended by a VW bus. That killed the bike. After some dickering with his insurance, I got a shiny new Jota 1000. It was nicked named the "Freight Train". It got that name cause of the massive 10" headlight. At the time, this was state of the art and one of the orginial crotch rockets. Kinda slow outta the hole but uncatchable in roll ons. This thing tracked like it was on rails. Had a shakey idle that would put any HD to shame. All the troops came on line around 4600rpm and would pull like a "freight train" all the way to top end. For the period, it had stellar brakes and suspension. Observed top end was 143, unfortunantly this was observed by a NM state trooper on one one of my Sunday morning "top 'er out runs". We had a group of riders that went out every weekend for some peg draggin fun. The clan rode Laverdas, Ducatis and Moto Guzzis and a sprinkle of Beemers. The "Duck" 900ss's gave the big Lav's a run for there money. 'Bout 6 months into ownership, the chain broke, balled up around the primary sprocket and cracked the engine case. The dealer, having determined the chain was defective would replace the engine under warranty. This turned out to be a protracted process as Laverda was 6-8weeks out getting another engine sent across the pond. Senceing my swelling anger, the dealer told me to pick out one of his used bikes to ride while I waited for my engine to show up. The biggest bike in his used stable was a XS11. I wasn't thrilled with the shaft drive 'cause I figured it would be slow, but it was the biggest rig he had available. I saddled up for the ride back home. Getting on I-25, I cranked 'er up to see what I had. Holy sh+t!!! This thing was a rocket!!!! Smoother than the Lav (no hard feat), comfortable and very quiet (Lav had factory 3-1 exhaust). I rode that bike for over a month, putting it up against the group of "exotics" I rode with. The only rig able to run with it, on straight lines was a fully equipped Dunstall Ducati 900ss. The XS lost in the twisties against the Ducks and Lemans Guzzi's. The Beemers lost everywhere . My Lav got fixed and I had to give the XS back. I told myself I havta get one of those. The LAV got sold a few years later. Picked up a KZ1100 Spectre and rode it for years. At 93k on the Kaw, I spied a full dress G model XS in the paper. Called about two weeks later and he still had the bike. I went and checked it out and the rest is history. Sold the Kaw, bought the XS and have had it ever since. I still get that grin when I crank her up.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

nice experience webbcraft2150, now thats a period shootout
          "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
          History
          85 Yamaha FJ 1100
          79 yamaha xs1100f
          03 honda cbr 600 f4
          91 yamaha fzr 600
          84 yamaha fj 1100
          82 yamaha seca 750
          87 yamaha fazer