Better pics!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kurt
    Yeah, I really wasn't all that concerned about it. I'll try some fingernail polish remover. I don't like acetone. I had some explode all over me when I was making a custom footbed for a ski boot.
    Fingernail polish remover is, in most cases, acetone with perfume added.
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

Comment

I used some orange degreaser and a plastic scrub brush. It looks a-lot better. Aparrently the battery broke at some point. The chrome is gone in a couple spots and there is paint missing at the pivot point. That would explian the missing side cover as well.

I thought that the frame might have been welded, but the bead still has all the paint on it. Just not around it. Weird.
      "It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees."

Comment

Heres some pics of the acid spill. Not too bad. I guess...

Comment

That does look like battery acid corrosion. Maybe an overflow tube was not used.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

"That way you might not dull your finish so much with the SOS or Emory paper!?"

im not trying to be disagreeable but it actually didn't dull the finish on my exhaust at all, lots of water and the SOS pad. I had melted dress shoe sole on the muffler as well as, melted and well aged, blue plastic tarp. (it was my first bike, needless to say I learned a lot in the first couple months)

I was really nervous it might scuff stuff so i tried it on an underneath part first, I'm really picky and i couldn't find even the slightest change in the finish. anyhow, there's more than one way to skin cat, (no pun intended) it's good to hear em all.

peace.

Comment

(no pun intended)

PUNS WECOME

I have used 00 steel wool and a d-Limonene product to remove plastic and rubber from chrome.

"orange degreaser" has a small amount of d-Limonene in it which is extracted from orange peels. Stuff I have (industrial grade) is 90% d-Limonene and will start to melt the bottom off street shoes immediately. I sell the stuff to remove forklift rubber marks off concrete

mro

Comment

Yeah, make sure that your vent hose is free of cracks and plugs. They will plug up and shoot everywhere when you ride. Don't ask. The first time it happened to me, I had baking soda handy so it was not a problem.
                United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                Acta Non Verba

Comment

Originally posted by HobbyMan
                  Yeah, make sure that your vent hose is free of cracks and plugs. They will plug up and shoot everywhere when you ride. Don't ask. The first time it happened to me, I had baking soda handy so it was not a problem.
                  Or buy a sealed battery and never worry about it. Mine dosen't have a vent, you could mount it upside down if you were so inclined (pun?).
                  Pat Kelly
                  <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                  1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                  2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                  1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                  1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                  1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Re: ...to much black...

Originally posted by Kurt

Yeah I am missing the left side cover. I've been looking for one since December to no avail. Got one for me?
                    Have you tried Bob Jones at Merriam Cycles? He may have a cover he'd sell ya, or at least have a line on one.

Merriam Cycles
                    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                    The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

I will try bob thanks!

I put a sealed batt in when I got the bike. That's the first thing I do if it needs it or not.

Comment

Gentleman I'm in Arvada also and just got bike last summer so would love to ride with some other XS's Drop me a line at Fddlefoot@hotmail.com
                        " That glass isn't half empty it has a hole in it "

79 SF set to cruise

80special work in progress

and now 78 needs work

Comment

Working...
                        X