Carb problems, not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb problems, not

After all these supposedly carb problems I find that wasn't the problem at all. I was reading the plugs and couldn't understand why it wasn't firing even though the plug was wet with fuel so I put the wire on the plug and layed it against the engine and cranked. Spark was there, but it didn't look too strong. Since there was another set of coils came with the Pathfinder I decided to try them. Wow, now it runs strong at all speeds and doesn't seem to mind if it's rich or lean, runs strong anyway. Seems someone had carved the wires out of the coils and replaced them with those carbon center wires and they are s**t as far as I'm concerned. Too bad the weekend is supposed to be rainy. Bummer.....
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

almost 50 years ago when i went to General Motors Training Center for carb repair the first thing the instructor told us was "90% of carb problems is ignition"
    fly

Comment

One more time...

I still have to take those carbs off again. Not a problem anymore. One thing I have learned during this ordeal is how to take carbs off and on. Now it's about 10 min for off or on.

Now I can concentrate on some of the other things I want to do, like change the final drive, paint the new panneirs, and install some spacers behind the clutch springs. BTW I found some 12 x 18 x 1 mm spacers for the clutch at McMaster Carr. They are about $9 for a bag of 50. Anyone wants to know what the part # is, PM me. If you want just 6 I can send them to you for postage.
      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

Drilled airbox
      Tkat fork brace
      Hardly mufflers
      late model carbs
      Newer style fuses
      Oil pressure guage
      Custom security system

Comment

Seems that I've got the same problem. Spark is there at idle, but must be too weak for proper ignition, or throwing it away at higher revs. I'll try replacing the caps and wires this weekend, otherwise will have to look for another coil.

90% of carb problems is ignition
        I was also blaming the carbs...
        79F - "Anakin Skywalker"
        transforming into:
        "Darth Vader"

Comment

Too bad the weekend is supposed to be rainy. Bummer.....

Rain???

Only part I don't like about riding in the rain is being behind trafic.
          All the road $hit thrown up in the air by cages.

Otherwise usually only bike out there

mro

Comment

before the helment laws

remember the crap that was felt, riding without headgear behind trucks before the laws in california?
            "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
            History
            85 Yamaha FJ 1100
            79 yamaha xs1100f
            03 honda cbr 600 f4
            91 yamaha fzr 600
            84 yamaha fj 1100
            82 yamaha seca 750
            87 yamaha fazer
            86 yamaha maxim x
            82 yamaha vision
            78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

I don't see how you could do that without a helmet. I ride Meathead(79SF) when it is raining.. It already has a scuffed exhaust and the tank isn't in the best shape. My 80G is reserved for semiwarm nice days. Usually in the rain there is no problem when there is no traffic. If you have any exposed skin, the rain can start to hurt after a while. Other than that, weather doesn't bother me
              United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
              If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
              "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
              "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
              Acta Non Verba

Comment

remember the crap that was felt, riding without headgear behind trucks before the laws in california?
                First time I got caught in rain on the freeway (1969) was on 580 above Oakland. Big A$$ drops

Felt like being hit with BB's. Had to slow and get off and continue on side streets. Did have my sun glasses on tho

mro

Comment

I remember riding back from the Jersey shore to Pittsburgh (about 375 miles) in 1969 and getting hit with a major cold front first and then a rainstorm. Wind was bad at first, blowing 25-30 right into my face, tough to maintain 55, then the temperature dropped 30 degrees and it rained like hell. The spray from the cages was bad, but it was the semis that really killed me when they passed me. Every time I'd see a pick-up truck with and empty bed go by I'd think of how nice it would be to throw my bike in the back of the truck and get into the cab to warm up and dry out. Did I mention that I didn't have any warm clothes OR rain gear?
                  By the time I was getting close to home I'd have traded that bike for a bus ticket.
                  80 G "The Beast"
                  81 H "The Dresser"
                  79 XS650 II
                  82 650 Maxim
                  70 DT-1 Enduro
                  66 Honda CL-77 Scrambler
                  96 H-D Road King

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

Rain gear?

I rode across country in the mid 70's and from Denver to Toledo it rained every day. I had no rain gear or windshield or face shield, just sun glasses. I did find some plastic that I taped to my shins with duct tape. When I got to Toledo I finally found a rain suit I could afford and wouldn't you know, as soon as I put it on the sun came out and it didn't rain the remainder of the trip.

Drilled airbox
                    Tkat fork brace
                    Hardly mufflers
                    late model carbs
                    Newer style fuses
                    Oil pressure guage
                    Custom security system

Comment

We sure twisted this thread. Started off on carb problems that turned into electrical problems, and the next thing I knew I was in a bad rainstorm and looked back at the start of the thread, whew!
                      80 G "The Beast"
                      81 H "The Dresser"
                      79 XS650 II
                      82 650 Maxim
                      70 DT-1 Enduro
                      66 Honda CL-77 Scrambler
                      96 H-D Road King

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

twisted...?, bent maybe

Rain gear......
                        Never had any either.
                        Was not the brightest bulb in the pack

Hey OneHand,
                        have you Vac-Synch'ed your carbs yet???
                        If you haven’t, it just ain't going to go like it should.

mro

Comment

I was just thinkin about that. Thread evolution
                          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                          Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                          X