Holy sh......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy sh......

It's 72 here. If it is not warm where you are, I am truly, truly sorry. It is sooo nice I took my XS11 for its first real ride today.

Holy shi*t. I have a Peugeot 103 moped. I have a 1975 Honda CB750K. I have my XS. I have others, but for this illustration I will consider only those three.

There is as much difference in performance between my Peugeot and my Honda and there is between my Honda and my XS. Holy shi*t this bike is fun.

I have a couple of issues to address before the bike gets its hardcore 200 mile shakedown cruise. First, recommendations please:

1. The XS, while it kicks butt is all gears and pulls strong all the way to redline, does not want to idle below 2000 rpm. The throttle screw is all the way relieved. Think it's the synch or is there another issue I should look at. It's firing on all four and the timing appears to be perfect. Whe I got it, though, the timing arrow arm was bent, so it may be off. Would high idle be the result or advanced or retarded timing?

2. Possibly related. When I start the bike with te idle full on, after a few second the idlestarts to clibs rapidly. If I put it on half choke the idle returns to high normal until it get warm and then the idle climbs again until I take off the choke completely. When the engine is warm, the diel stays above 2000.

3. There is a body shudder when I really lay on it. Nothing scary, and it seems to be diminishing wth use. I think it might just be the front forks getting the new oil where it needs to be. I'll get back to you if it doesn't go away.

4. The clutch wants to kill the engine coming off the line. I have to rev it higher than I want to get it going. It doesn't slip at high rpm, however, and grabs in all gears very, very well once it is moving. Clutch plates getting used to each other maybe?

Hey Webbcraft, if I get these little issues sorted out and the weather cooperates, want to ride around the Hill Country next weekend?

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Well sync can definitely cause idle surging...and it's easy to do one...so start there and see.
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

It sounds to me like you may need to clean the enrichener (Choke) circuit in your carbs, as well as definately a carb synch. You may try the synch first , that should help things by itself. You have one of the carbs dragging the others up with it. Try that first, and if not fixed, off for a cleaning.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Advanced timing would increase idle speed.
        If you can get a dial indicator in the #1 hole, you can check TDC.
        Sounds more like a carb issue, though.
        XS1100SF
        XS1100F

Comment

I'm in!!!!
          When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Sync your carbs, then set them up (idle etc.)
            Most of those problems will go away and your bike will REALLY fly.
            It worked for me.
            You will want a tkat fork brace if you don't have one already.
            Have fun,
            Andy

Comment

sounds like a carb issue. To be sure it isn't timing, pull the case cover off and make sure the coils aren't sticking.
              United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
              If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
              "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
              "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
              Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
              X