centerstand and Misc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• centerstand and Misc.

I just brought my XS11 home and realized it didn't have the original owners manual. I do have a Clymers manual but it doesn't address the easy things like putting bike on centerstand or accessing the battery or taking seat off. I tried last night to put it up on centerstand but was unsuccessful. Any help would be appreciated.

Center Stand and Manual

Hey there Dave,

Center Stand is surprisingly fun and simple once you know the trick. The trick is not to straddle the bike, but to stand to the left side, push down the stand with your right foot/heel till it touches the ground, note the arm of the stand that you are standing on, that is also a lever! Now, holding the handlebar with your left hand, place your right hand under the grab rail of the seat, then as you push down with your foot, you pull up with your right hand, and the bike will rise up onto the center stand nice and easily. To get it off, you DO want to astride it and rock it forward.

Check the threads in the group about Manual, there is one posted to the Yahoo group files section, PLEASE read the DL and assemble instructions FULLY before trying to get it, Yahoo limited the size of the files that could be posted, Hence the file had to be SPLIT, it is a PDF file of the entire owner's manual for the 81 H and SH, but applies to most of the bikes except the MAXIM's.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

centerstand/manual

I keep finding the link to the manual in yahoo group files is a dead link. I have logged in Yahoo groups but when I cut and paste the URL it says site not found.

Comment

Yahoo Link

Hey there Dave,

I just went to the Yahoo site, and their files access is temporarily down, just try again later. BTW, I hope you are signed on to yahoo, to the allxs11s group, then go to the files section. If someone has posted just a link to access the files section from outside Yahoo, I don't believe it will work, you have to log onto GROUPS, before you can get to it. It does work, several have D/L'd and have reported being able to use it!!
        T. C. Gresham

Comment

New Location of PDF Manual

Hey there Dave and list,

I messed around with my personal web spaces thru my ISP, and used my SWMBO's 10 MB of storage space to put the 81H_SH manual file for D/L'ing in 1 single file, with hopefully just an active link posted here, here goes:

http://members.cox.net/peeweegr/81XS...nersManual.pdf

So...hopefully you will only have to click on it and will be given a choice to D/L it, or it will D/L automatically, or you can right click on it, and select SAVE TARGET AS, and it should work that way as well. BE PATIENT, it's about 6.5MB in size, will take a while if you're on dial up, at 56k, appx 26 minutes or so!!!
          Last edited by TopCatGr58; 10-06-2002, 07:59 PM.
          T. C. Gresham

Comment

Fot a good technique for putting the bike up on the center stand. look at theis Tech Tip:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=&threadid=492
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

To get it on the centerstand all I do is place my weight on the arm of the stand and pull it up with the handle bars.

Is this wrong??

Comment

wrong? If it works, it ain't wrong !
                Trying to describe how to loft a bike on a centerstand is like trying to describe how to ride a bicycle - hard to describe, but once you get the knack, it all just comes without thinking.

Soon to be a lost art as most new bikes come without.
                Rocky
                00 Cagiva Gran Canyon
                80 XS11 Special -sold
                77 HD Sportster
                75 Norton Commando

Comment

Re: Center Stand and Manual

Originally posted by TopCatGr58

Center Stand is surprisingly fun and simple once you know the trick. The trick is not to straddle the bike, ...
                  T.C. I wish I had thought to get you to show me this in NC, I still don't feel secure doing it that way.
                  Robert
                  79 SF

Comment

Working...
                  X