Long learning curve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long learning curve

I have been having a really bad time with these carbs. Those who have been following my posts know what I mean. I have received so much good advice here and it was all right. What I have discovered in my extremely long ordeal with these carbs is, the real problem was the idle was too lean. What I was doing after sync was adjusting the idle screws for best idle. I would screw the needle in until it stumbled then back out to the best running. What I learned is that about two more turns out fixes the stumble at the transition from idle to midrange. It would stall easily when leaving the signal and would stumble and backfire until it reached 3500. I guess the best idle is not nearly rich enough for a good transition. Finally got it running smooth on excelleration from idle to top end. Just in time, the weekend looks like a great time for a ride.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Good job! Wished it were warmer here. This unusally cooler 35-40 daytime is gettin old! Have all the cold weather stuff, Hippo-Hands, etc..........but just to go for a ride is like dressing to go skiing or something.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Before the last storm, we had just enough melting on our side streets (not all) to ride the bike about a mile. Total. Round trip. I am going nuts because in past years I have ridden every month here, and this year the snow has been relentless since before Christmas. OK now the "technical side" (so the post does not get removed) I warmed the engine long enough to evaporate water from the pipe.

Originally posted by motoman
      Good job! Wished it were warmer here. This unusally cooler 35-40 daytime is gettin old! Have all the cold weather stuff, Hippo-Hands, etc..........but just to go for a ride is like dressing to go skiing or something.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Just off to work, taking truck, very cold, riding season is 3 monthes away I will come down and start using my baton if i hear another person saying they are going riding today....... kidding, enjoy the ride if ya can go.. andreas

Comment

I had the same problem with my 80g. Set idle mixture the same way you did and had the same problem. Ended up 1-1/2 out from the "stumble" setting, got good throttle response all the way across the board, kinda rich on the plugs but runs good, idles good.
          When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Originally posted by andreashweiss
            Just off to work, taking truck, very cold, riding season is 3 monthes away I will come down and start using my baton if i hear another person saying they are going riding today....... kidding, enjoy the ride if ya can go.. andreas
            I'm in a worse situation. Weather is nice. Both XS's are running great. I'm stuck home with the kids all weekend.
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Now Pat..........that is REALLY like dangleing the carrot on the end of a stick!........And Skids, least these storms jump the hill and hit you all..............supposed to hit a whooping 45-50 here Monday.................perfect riding compared to the past couple weeks. You'll be in my thoughts when the next storm hits ya. Interesting problem and results setting the idle mixture. Have to keep that all in mind if mine starts acting wierd when adjusting............Hmmmmm.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
              X