Pulling the shaft..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling the shaft..

I bought a 750 final and have it ready to mount on the Pathfinder, but I can't seem to find a way to pull the drive shaft out of the housing. I see in the post about doing that and it said a 2 jaw puller and slide hammer. I can't seem to find a puller that will fit in there and I have a pretty good selection of pullers. I wonder if anyone else has done this mod and maybe found another way of getting the shaft out.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

MC Hammer

I used a ball joint separator and tapped it with a hammer. There is a circlip on the shaft that is really unnecessary, Just leave it out when you put it all back together....chop
    MDRNF
    79F.....Not Stock
    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Ah yes...

I figured it had to be some tool I didn't have. What the heck does a ball joint seperator look like? I don't think I have ever seen one. I was thinking about putting a small cable around it a few times and tie a weight on it and use it like a slide hammer.
      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

Drilled airbox
      Tkat fork brace
      Hardly mufflers
      late model carbs
      Newer style fuses
      Oil pressure guage
      Custom security system

Comment

PD
        If you don't have a slide hammer puller, what you were talking about with something wrapped around the shaft may work. You will have to be very careful though that you protect the spine teeth from damage. A small nylon sling may do the trick. It really doesn't take too much to get it out, just enough force to compress the circlip and it will pull out by hand from there.
        Just my two cents

Ed
        Ed

78/82 XS/XJ mostly made up of parts bikes
        XS1100 SG 1980 Will restore to original over time

Comment

What I thought

I had the shaft out of the "79 but the clip wasn't on that one. I was hoping it would be easy. That part of the project got put back because after getting the carbs on I wanted to go for a test ride so I put the stock unit back on and put the wheel on.

In the precess of trying to get the low end mix right I had moved the needle clip back to the center so now mid and top is lean again and stumbles at 6 - 7 grand, but that's easy and doesn't mean I have to remove the carba. I can do the clip move while they're still in the bike.

Drilled airbox
          Tkat fork brace
          Hardly mufflers
          late model carbs
          Newer style fuses
          Oil pressure guage
          Custom security system

Comment

pickle

just at Sears buying a valve spring compressor, saw the term Pickle Fork for what I used...
            MDRNF
            79F.....Not Stock
            80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Planedick

I bought a cheap slide hammer at harborfreight.com. They probably have a store in your area. I think it cost $10.

I have used it numerous times in the past 6 months. One of the most practical tools I ever bought.

You could also take a length of 1/4" all thread...bend one end in a 90 and use it as a hook or rig it up with a nut on one end and use a 1/2" x 6 inch steel nipple for the slide.

Comment

Working...
              X