To Pod Or Not To Pod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where to buy

Where is the best place to buy a set of pods? I am currently missing one and need a new set. Looking for the best pods Vs. price. really don't think I want to go to the yamaha dealer.
    68 Honda Cl350 (sold)
    76 Honda Cb 400 super sport
    79 special (skull bike)
    79 special (parts bike w/title)
    79 special
    80 standard full dress (Sat 24 years)
    81 special (parts for now trying to get the title)
    81 kaw 750 ltd (sold to brother-in-law)
    80 650 maxim (fixing for wife)
    81 650 maxim
    81 Xs 650 special ( No title found in a barn)
    88 Zx 600r (Sold)
    01 Gz 250

Comment

Sorry, I don't know about prices etc... but I know that Auto Zone carry K&N products. K&N will be more expensive than Uni filters. I was happy w/ my Uni filters (just gotta make sure to keep them oiled), so it's not like they're just some off-quality off-brand, IMO. Do a Google search and see what you can find.
      -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
      '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
      ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

you can get the uni pods from www.cyclegear.com. i am willing to bet that you are overtightening them. just snug them, dont crank down on them.
        Danny

1980 MNS
        1994 GSXR711
        1999 Harley Softail

www.streetdreams.org

Comment

45.99 jc whitney uni filters best price
          "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
          History
          85 Yamaha FJ 1100
          79 yamaha xs1100f
          03 honda cbr 600 f4
          91 yamaha fzr 600
          84 yamaha fj 1100
          82 yamaha seca 750
          87 yamaha fazer
          86 yamaha maxim x
          82 yamaha vision
          78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

The pods I have are from Ape Racing Parts. They are K&N replicas for alot less. Plus, these are oil-less... no messing with that part of it.

http://www.aperaceparts.com/

That's they're website, but you'll need to call them as the filters aren't listed. They are 60 bucks, but they work great and don't block any carb ports like my first cheapy ones did from Partsnmore.

I don't know what the JC Whitney pods loook like, but here's the ones from Ape on my bike.... I got the oval ones instead of just round... more filtering area.

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

what technology would allow for oiless functioning while the gold standard for aftermarket filtration, requires oil.

what does ape know that the air cleaning industry as a whole does not,

so the question to you is are you comfortable exposing your beautiful air cooled four cylinder masterpiece to grit and grime?

oh i forgot my car's air filter uses no oil, so the new question is do yo throw them out went they are dirty? then the economy cost is not actual...
              "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
              History
              85 Yamaha FJ 1100
              79 yamaha xs1100f
              03 honda cbr 600 f4
              91 yamaha fzr 600
              84 yamaha fj 1100
              82 yamaha seca 750
              87 yamaha fazer
              86 yamaha maxim x
              82 yamaha vision
              78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

I prefer the look of the airbox. Pods leave a big hole in the middle of the bike.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

what technology would allow for oiless functioning while the gold standard for aftermarket filtration, requires oil.
                  I'm just taking someone else's word for it that knows alot more than I do. They said that when they get dirty, run them through a cycle in the dishwasher.

I have wondered myself why car air filters work fine with no oil, but lots require the pods to... mainly K&N. It may be as simple as the material used.. some needs oil, some doesn't. It isn't just APE... there are other pods that don't use it.. including the cheapies from Partsnmore. What about your OEM filter for the airbox? Why no oil on that? Lots of people trust those to clean the air for their masterpieces.
                  So I don't think it's a case of being the "Gold standard" as much as their personal standard. I had a few thousand miles on these filters when I tore the motor down for other reasons. I am reusing those cylinders off that motor and they spec'd out great! So.. it isn't letting stuff through to tear up the cylinders yet and the valves stems are still sealed well! But... if you don't like the oil-less type and don't trust them... that's your choice.

Tod
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I'm the one running my K&N through the dishwasher. Hot water and detergent from all angles .
                    K&N uses cotton as a filter medium. The cotton flows more air than a paper element. The porosity of the cotton would allow contaminates to get through so thus the oil.
                    Same wth foam filters. The oil traps the dirt. The dirt washes away with the oil. Much less expensive to re-oil than replace the entire unit.
                    Pat Kelly
                    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

another two cents worth (if that!)

K&N (gauze type) filters flow more air because they have LESS filtering surface. Hold them up to the light. You can see through them. Your car filter (probably folded paper) has way more filtering surface area, hence more restriction, hence no need for oil to grab hold of the dust particles whooshing past. You loose two things by eliminating the stock air box. 1) the "still" air that allows for consistant flow into the carbs. Air rushing past the bike is swirling all over the place causing variable low pressure areas right where the carbs are trying to draw their breath from. GP bikes have air boxes for this reason. 2) unless you utilize the stock rubber air box boots like Jessie did, you loose the "velocity stack" effect of those boots. This is significant. Velocity stacks really work to get the air column heading for the carbs accelerated. The original engineers did know a few things about air flow and such.
                      If it aint broke....it aint mine!:(
                      80G The Big unit
                      72 BSA Rocket Three "Main Squeeze"
                      84 GS1150ES "Big Sue"
                      79 Special (Tomcat's) as yet unnamed

Comment

Working...
                      X