X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• twinmax carb synch tool?

http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/home/ac...es/TwinMax.htm

Anyone ever use this?
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

For the life of me, I can't figure out how this unit or any of the one-at-a-time gauges would work. They look like they would do an excellent job of setting one carb to a particular vacuum level at a particular point in time. Everything I've read about synchronizing multiple carbs works on the principle of setting two of something to an identical value, whatever that value happens to be. I.e., you sync one carb to another, or you balance left side to right side, etc. You do a number of iterations of this and you end up with everything exactly the same.

It seems to me that the moment you disconnect this electronic unit and move it to another carb, you lose any reference for setting the next carb. As you adjust the setting on the new carb, it changes the motor speed, which then changes the vacuum in the carb you just set because it is also now operating at a different speed. You're now setting the new carb at a different engine speed than when you were setting the first carb.

We need to head from some others who use individual gauges to hear how they get consistentcy. There must be a way, but I just can't imagine it.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Ken,

My sentiments exactly. The carbs are inter-dependent. Can't synch them unless you can read ALL FOUR of them at once.

Comment

Not so...

I have a mercury type that is missing some mercury, so I connect only two lines at once, one stays on the # 3 carb as that is the one that is connected to the idle stop and just move the other line to each of the other carbs in turn. Just remember to do # 2 before # 1 as # 2 effects both, and do # 4 last. Works for me.
        You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
        Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
        Drilled airbox
        Tkat fork brace
        Hardly mufflers
        late model carbs
        Newer style fuses
        Oil pressure guage
        Custom security system
        Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I calibrate similar units to this for a living

If you connect that instrument across two carbs the meter would read zero when they were balanced.

You'd then have to balance another pair or use one carb as a referenece to set the remaining three.

Just my 2p worth
          Triking - it's a way of life!

www.trikenest.co.uk

Comment

I use the homemade sync from the tips section with one gauge. It is entirly possible. I just swith back and forth on the fish tank vacuum valves until there is no difference between the two I am sync'ing. Probably would take me five minutes if I didn't get paranoid of overheating and shut the bike down for a few minutes between sets.
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

81xsproject,

If you're worried about overheating when doing a synch, set a box fan in front of the motor.

Comment

Gauges

I have 4 vaccuum gauges but really need a pictorial set of instructions to be able to set them up, I have no bleed valves or manifold to hook them to all I need is some guidance, please any takers?
                Bruce
                Bruce Doucette
                Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Bruce,
                  I would mount all 4 on a board, and run the vacum lines from each one to a carb. If you use 4' lines, you can lay the board on the ground, prop it against the handlebars, or whatever to read it easily.
                  Then it's just a matter of trying to get all 4 gauges to read the same.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by Trikerneil
                    I calibrate similar units to this for a living

If you connect that instrument across two carbs the meter would read zero when they were balanced.

That's the part I cannot visualize. How do you connect 'across two carbs'?
                    Ken Talbot

Comment

There are two pipes sticking out of the bottom of the unit.
                      Connect each pipe to a vacuum nipple on a carb rubber and the difference in pressure could be read.
                      If you look at the larger picture on their site the scale is zero centred and reads plus or minus values.
                      Zero would indicate the carbs were balanced.
                      If one pipe were left open to atmospheric pressure then vacuum referenced to atmosperic could be read assuming the unit could handle that range pressure differential
                      Triking - it's a way of life!

www.trikenest.co.uk

Comment

Aha! I can "see" it now. That makes all the sense in the world. A unit like that would be a lot easier to pack around to XS rallies for tune-ups-on-the-spot than a set of mercury sticks. Might have to give that a bit more thought....
                        Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
                        X