Electrical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical question

I am installing a voltmeter on my SG and H, and need 12v wire that is only hot with the ignition on. I was thinking about using the headlight power, but am not sure how it works with hi/low beam. Are there 2 different wires (So when I turn on my high beam, I will lose the voltmeter?)

My H also has a Vetter fairing on, just to complicate things.

I am kinda electrically clueless, but working on it.
    I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

If you tie into the brown wire on your main switch you will only have power to the volt meter when the switch is in the on position. That is how I have mine set up for the past 20 some odd years and works fine. T.C. has scanned some color wiring diagrams. Here's the link.
    http://members.cox.net/topcatgr/files/80SG_81SHwire.jpg
    Do'Lee
    XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
    (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
    (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
    (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
    SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

The other way is tie it too the tail light/dash light wire. I don't remember the color, but if you are mounting the gauge in the fairing, just use the "hot" side of the side marker light.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hi there Pain.............under the left soft side cover in your fairing, the red fused wire, brown wire, both with spades o them are 'hot' with ignition on. The two black ones and the orange one, both with spades on them are grounds.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I wired my voltmeter up to the Taillight fuse in the block. Works like a charm and it's a very handy thing to have. I have not run the battery down too far since I installed it.
          Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
          78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
          02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

Working...
          X