new guy to the board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new guy to the board

Hi, I'm threebanger, and I ride motorcycles.

Hi, 3B. Glad you're here...
    From my name, you may guess that I happen to be one of the cult of Yamaha triple owners. That is true. I have been a member over on the triple site for quite some time, contributing whenever I have something to add.
    I did, however, just acquire an '82 1100 parts bike to play with. Not all of it...but enough to make me happy, anyway. It didn't come with a motor, so I don't plan on getting it on the road, but I do want to use some of the parts for a triple project or two.
    I hope this doesn't alienate me right off the bat, and no, I'm not going to start spamming the board with parts for sale.
    My first question involves the rear brake system...I see a line running from the rear MC up to the front of the bike. What's up with that? Does anyone have info they could provide to a poor ignorant newbie?

Sorry about the long dissertation. I just wanted to introduce myself and let you know where I was coming from.
    sorry, no signature--illiterate!!

linked brakes. Good luck on the board. This is a different group of guys and a few galls (I didn't forget you Wildkat). There is always tons info and good discussions here anyway
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

Comment

Sounds like you got yourself and XJ1100. I beleive they had linked front and rear brakes with some kind of valve that portioned the pressure out to something like 60 front 40 rear? I am sure one of the XJ gurus will jump in and lay down the law, but good to have you aboard. We like wild projects aroudn here so I highly doubt you would be alienated just for being one cylinder shy of full bike Just kidding, welcome to channel eleven!
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

linked brakes. Good luck on the board.
        Yeah what he said. ^
        An 82 with linked brakes, sounds like you have an XJ= Maxim.

Welcome 3B, if that bike came with a title, maybe someone here could hook you up with a motor. Ride one of these things for a while and you just might like it. It's more powerful than a speeding 850.
        I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.... It smells like......victory

Comment

Welcome 3B

Commando nails it straight on the head, if you ever get a chance to run one of these motors, it'll take you mach chicken and beyond.
          Bauer
          1980 XS 1100 SG (The 3rd Degree) - The Cafe' Racer
          Image Photos @ http://photobucket.com/albums/f230/BauersXS11/
          1980 XS1100 G (The Trouble Maker)
          Fully stock and still goin at 65k miles

Comment

welcome to the board threebanger. I've read many of your posts (and Jeepurz's) on both Chopperfix and CU, although I don't post there often.

and don't worry about spamming the board with parts for sale - there is a seperate section for that AND we are always on the lookout for good deals on BOTH XS/XJ parts and XS750/850 final drives - so post away! as a matter of fact, you could probably enlighten us on a few things - such as converting vaccuum petcocks to manual petcocks.

yep, linked brakes. the 81LG and 82XJ have the rear MC attached to both the rear caliper and front left caliper. the front MC only controls the front right caliper. They can be unlinked so the front MC controls both front calipers - I have not done this yet on my LG, but I believe that the front MC WILL need to be replaced with a larger MC and some changes will need to be performed on the rear MC. just do a search for linked brakes, I know its been discussed several times.

Comment

81LH and 82XJ

Originally posted by Brian_D
              yep, linked brakes. the 81LG and 82XJ have the rear MC attached to both the rear caliper and front left caliper. the front MC only controls the front right caliper. They can be unlinked so the front MC controls both front calipers - I have not done this yet on my LG, but I believe that the front MC WILL need to be replaced with a larger MC and some changes will need to be performed on the rear MC. just do a search for linked brakes, I know its been discussed several times.
              DOH! should have typed "the 81LH and 82XJ ..." and "I have not done this yet on my LH ..."

Comment

Thanks for the polite welcome!
                I was assuming the brake thing was a linked/proportioning deal. That's nice to get confirmed.
                I'm sure I'll have more questions soon.

Comment

special or XJ?

Serial # starts with?
                  4W1.........serial #, it's a 81LH
                  10M..........serial #, it's an XJ

mro

Comment

It's been too cold to go out and even look at the vin#! We're looking for a high of -5F tomorrow with windchills down to -35F. I hate when that happens!

Comment

Working...
                    X