Cheap valve spring tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap valve spring tool

If anyone is wanting a cheap valve spring tool, I made this one today and it seems to work pretty well. The hardest part is the first step. I took an old shim bucket, and with a diamond bit on my dremmel tool, eventually got a hole in the center of it. I used abrasive stone bits after this and SLOWLY widened the hole out. I have never seen a spec on or ever heard about a shim bucket wearing out, but I believe that there is a reason for this. This is made out of the hardest ^%$# metal I have ever tried to drill. I didn't have a drill bit that would touch it. I don't own a drill press though and that probably would have helped. So here is the bucket with the hole in the center... wide enough to get past the valve retainers.

Next, I had bought a 6 inch "C" clamp. I used the dremmel tool and cut two grooves (One on each side) of the clamps foot and pried it off to facilitate the aggressive grinding I was about to do to it. I had to use this foot, because without it, when you try to tighten the clamp, the foot walks all over the place.

And this is what I ended up with after the grinding... spoon shaped to allow more room to get the valve retainers out.

Next, put the "C" clamp over the valve you want to take out that already has the modified shim bucket on it, put the modified foot on the edge of the bucket, and screw down the clamp... compressing the spring. The shim bucket makes sure everything compresses straight and true.

When you screw it down far enough, the valve retainers will simply come out with a magnet.

Release the "C" clamp, and the spring retainer will lift right out.

Slide the valve down through the bottom. (Hopefully the valve stem hasn't been mushroomed out) You can see that I am not a true Guru.... no rubber gloves! lol

To assemble, simply put the spring retainer back on, put the modified shim bucket over that, compress the spring with the "C" clamp again, install the valve retainers, and ease the clamp back off.... making sure the small retainers stay put. You're done.

I already had the tools I needed to modify the clamp and the shim bucket, so total cost for this tool was 4.99 plus tax for the "C" clamp. Hope this helps someone else.

Tod
    Last edited by trbig; 01-28-2007, 04:14 PM.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

If you ever build one again, try using an el cheapo 5/8" spark plug socket instead of a shim bucket. It will be a lot easier to modify and is about the right OD.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I wanted the shim bucket to make sure everything compressed straight down.... no worries about getting anything cocked in there. You are pushing down on the spring from the side so you can get to the clips. The bucket keeps everything straight. Plus with the bucket, there's only the thickness of it to get by to get to the retainers. It's all wide open and easy to get to.
      But... if the socket is easier for you... so be it. This is just what I found that worked best for me.

Tod
      Last edited by trbig; 01-28-2007, 04:24 PM.
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I did something similar years ago and I had a few of the 5/7" sockets laying around because one comes with every cheap socket set.

Later on I scored a deal on a factory Norton valve spring compressor. It's about as crudely made (as the Chinese C-clamp) but slightly better designed. I'd dig it out and post a pic but it's to farging cold in my garage to get me to linger in there any longer than I have to.

Geezer
        Last edited by Geezer; 01-29-2007, 10:53 AM.
        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

chinese junk

I just bought a valve spring tool CRAFTSMAN from sears and the thing was only able to get out one valve . It looks like the PO(NOT ME) had let the head sit outside and the valves are stuck. This is the 80 head that I want for my big bore. Is it still going to be good? I was just wanting to polish the chambers and knock off the lips on the intake boot interfaces, maybe even send it off to do a light port/polish. Any suggestions....chop
          MDRNF
          79F.....Not Stock
          80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Chop,
            Put some ATF on the top of the valves, and then try and pour some on the stems from the ports. Let it set overnight, and then support the head on blocks, so the valves WILL NOT hit anything if they come out. Then hit the top of each valve with a dead blow hammer.
            That should loosen everything up so you can disassemble the head.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
            X