Need Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Opinion

I just came home from looking at the xj1100 . Heres the deal it will start and run it won't go in first gear period its real hard to get it in second . Its leaking oil too can't really tell from where . Overall the bike is clean and shows only 9500 miles which i think is correct and also has a kerker 4 into header but he won't take $400.00 the guy i talked to yesterday said he would but the owner said $600.00 or he'll just part it . Is it worth that i think they had the tranny apart because they said to them it was'nt worth fixing..

Well

May have bent shifting forks or they not be in alignment; the leaking oil could be from a loose filter or drain bolt (hopefully) or the casing could be cracked at worse case ....I'd clean the bottom of the engine and find out where the oil is coming from.....remember the xj may be harder to find parts for especially the ignition module if it goes.....personally, if it were me I would stand by your offer and leave him your phone # unless you wanted to buy it for parts.
    Bruce
    Bruce Doucette
    Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

oil

I looked everywhere on it for the oil leak its hard to tell the bike has oil everywhere he said it had a bad head gasket but i can't tell .

Comment

Walk Away

Sounds like you got enough problems already. You don' t need two of them with trans trouble.
        Keep the money and fix the XS.
        XS1100SF
        XS1100F

Comment

yup I agree with oseagdha you got enuff probs already
          just my 2 cents worth perhaps someone over filled it with oil
          for 600 bucks thats a chance I would not take
          plus sounds like your on the right track with the bike you got now

Comment

bike

I think i have most of the bugs worked out on the one i have now i'm going to change the oil again in a week or so that is if i get to ride it. Its shifting and starting ok now still can't beleve how bad that oil was i really think there was something in it other than oil.

Comment

probably should go ahead and drain/refill both the middle and final drives as well - and don't worry, these seem to like synthetic gear oil.

Comment

May want

to try putting in some ATF like Dextron to help clean it out.
                My bike was sitting for 16 years, I poured ATF in the jugs and in the crankcase. Ran it for about 10 minutes and dumped it. ATF has tons of detergent in it.
                XS1100SF
                XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                X