Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Communications System for Radio/MP3, Radar Warning Tone & FRS (chat)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Communications System for Radio/MP3, Radar Warning Tone & FRS (chat)

I've been looking at different communication systems and haven't been able to find one that does exactly what I want.

My main requirements are for the system to allow playback of an audio source (such as fm radio or an iPod) AT THE SAME TIME as audio from a radar detector and FRS (or some other type of rider-to-rider communication).

I want to be able to listen to music, but still hear my radar detector if it goes off. Ideally, the unit would actually MUTE my music when someone is talking.

Has anyone ever seen a system like this? I've seen several where you can input these different sources, but it seems like you still have to manually switch between them which means no listening to music if you want to hear another rider.
    Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Doesn't the chatterbox do all this?

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...fCatId=&mmyId=

More info from:
    http://www.motoemporium.com/chatterbox/chatterbox.html
    # Auxiliary input for cellular phone or radar detector (call for compatibility)
    # Audio input with full stereo sound for Walkman type stereo input
    Last edited by Snow; 01-24-2007, 02:34 PM.
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

I use the Autocom unit. Cost a little more than a chatterbox, but IMHO works MUCH better. The high end unit, $350, will also auto adjust volume, as well as has the hookups for music, detector, phone, and whatever. I use the $250 unit, but with the extras I need to hook up the HAM radio, I'm at $350.
      http://www.autocom.co.uk/
      Ray
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

My research took me to Autocom just before I read your post. I haven't yet been able to find out details about it's VOX functionality (such as muting music when talking).

It does appear, however, that the Autocom units are pretty much the creme of the crop and I wont find much better options.
        Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

The music shuts off when a call comes in on my HAM radio, so it can be set to do the same for the radar unit. I bought mine here in San Jose, at Road Rider. They also have a web site, but I think if you can find a dealer close by it's best.
          Ray
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG

Comment

Found it!
            Rider or passenger speech causes audio level of Aux 2 and 3 to 50% reduce, and this glides gently back to normal levels when you stop speaking, plus Aux 4 and 5 automatically go to VOX transmit mode when you speak, with a short delay before returning back to receive mode (with a suitable transceiver connected).
            This is exactly what I wanted...music muting (or at least a reduction in volume) while talking.

Inputs on Aux 1 will cut audio from any device connected into Aux 2, 3 and 5 (switchable on/off). Plus disable VOX transmit on Aux 4 and 5 (switchable on/off).
            This means that when my phone rings my music will be muted.

Inputs on Aux 4 will automatically reduce the volume of any device plugged into Aux 2 or 3 (0%/50% switchable).
            I can put my radar detector and/or GPS on Aux 4 and have my music muted when they make noise as well.

I'm sold on the Autocom 300 Duo

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

On the other hand, it looks like the Integratr IV does much the same thing and it has a built in radio. It's much cheaper for the base unit, but that doesn't come with headphones. hrmmm

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

I will say all the connection on the Autocom are "O" ring type. No problem with the errant rain shower...
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG

Comment

Gaines

Here's another option. I just bought one and it works like a champ...$180. It's a multiple source line level mixing with auto mute. When your RD goes off the Mp3 input will mute. This thing is drop dead quite. It employs class "A" discreet preamps and has marvelous sound quality. It can either run off a single AA battery or has a transformer to run off the bike battery. Here's the link.

www.tesseractcorp.com

Then I couple that with Shure's i2 in ear monitors. Check them out! They allow you to monitor the audio from the mixer via 3.5 mm stereo plug and use your cell with a standard 2.5mm cell plug. The i2 has a thumb switch so you can switch from audio to phone on the fly. And since the i2 are in ear monitors they seal perfectly and reduce road noise by 29 dB. I think they cost about $70.

Comment

Good suggestion, however the Tesseract mixer doesn't help with rider-to-rider communication. I'd have to buy two of them and use two frs radios or something like that.

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

True that.

I suppose the reason I went with the Tess is I'm a bit of an "audiophile". The audio quality of this device is stellar.

However ... on a motorcycle at 90 mph it likely won't make much difference.

The only time I use a comm device is when SWMBO is with me. No need for a radar dector then since she freaks when I ride at the speed limit. However I could use a mute switch on the headset of my chatterbox at times... blah...blah...blah...

Comment

HAH!

Yes, I definitely got the feeling that Tess was the way to go for audio quality...but unless I'm going to install component speakers in my helmet I (personally) probably wont notice the difference.

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

I've been EXTREMELY impressed with the responsiveness of the Autocom sales/support staff. I've sent a couple emails asking questions about the products and have gotten responses in under an hour. If anyone else is looking into Autocom, here's a copy of the questions I asked and their response.

I have a few questions about the different products you offer.

I noticed in the comparisons that the Super Pro AVI does not have "9V Battery Power with Auto On/Off". It seems odd that the top of the line product does not have this feature while the less expensive ones do. Is this correct?

The Pro-7-Sport Rider Kit says it comes with the "Pro-7-Sport". The main unit page lists three main units (Easi, Active & Super Pro). Is the Pro-7-Sport the same as the Super Pro? If not, where can I find a comparison of features for the Pro-7-Sport?

It appears that the only differences between the Type A, B & D headsets is that the type A does not include a background noise sensor and D includes removable speakers. Are there any other differences? What is the benefit of removable speakers?
                          Gaines,

The Super Pro AVi does not include the 9V Feature because it has more of a draw on the battery to run all the features it has. The life of a 9V battery would be severely limited and would need to be changed at more than an acceptable rate. The Pro-7-Sport is an older model unit which was replaced by the Super Pro. It has one less aux input and did not come with the Rider to passenger music fader. You are correct in your assessment of the Headset differences. The Type B and D headsets are made for the Super Pro, which is the only model that can use the background noise sensor. Removable speakers are mainly used for applications where someone is using in ear speakers and have no need for the in helmet speakers. Very few people actually use this option but it is available if necessary.

Danial A. Bingham

TopGear Accessories

Importer of Autocom

518-449-8677 Ext. 2236

dan.bingham@topgearmail.com

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Lately I've been looking into the StarCom1 products. I asked J&R, AutoCom and StarCom1 for comparisons between their products and StarCom1 was the only one to provide anything.

http://www.starcom1.com/Comparison.htm

I sent this link to the folks at AutoCom to see if they had any corrections or additions to make to this comparison. Here is their response:
                            The following are the inconsistencies that I have found with this
                            comparison.

1. Our systems are weather resistant. No electronics can be completely
                            waterproof. When they heat up and cool down this creates condensation
                            inside the unit. All of the electronics are coated with weather protective
                            sealers making it weather resistant.

2. Our headset connectors are weather proof quick release connectors.

3. Automatic Fader is for Aux 2 and 3 on the Super Pro. So what ever you
                            plug into these auxiliary inputs will be controlled.

4. Our VOX setup works for 99% of our customers. The instant on and off
                            means that when you aren't talking you won't hear any ambient noise through
                            the headset.
                            It seems to me that StarCom1 is represented more favorably and AutoCom's comments didn't seem very significant to the comparison.

J&R didn't have any comments as their product was not included and they don't seem to want to make any comparisons.

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Working...
                            X