Tapping into the XS11's power for devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tapping into the XS11's power for devices

I'd really like to be able to mount my Valentine V1 on my '79 XS11S, however to do so I'd need to tap into the cycle's power and I've read that these bikes don't have any extra power to give.

How much power can I conserve by changing my stock lights with LEDs? Are there other ways to conserve power or to pump out more juice? On a car you can upgrade the alternator.

My radar detector pulls up to 425 mA (when in full alarm), however average pull is probably closer to 225 mA.
    Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

The radar detector should NOT cause any problems. The weak charging system usually shows up when you try to run a 80/100 Watt headlight, and or two 100 Watt driving lights.
    IF you run at low RPM's, under 2500, all the time, you may have a problem. The fix is to get one of Geezers reg/rec units. They will have a full charge close to 2500, and put out more amps at lower RPM's than the stock units.
    a 100Watt bulb draws about 8.4 Amps at 12 Volts.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Excellent. Thanks for the quick reply.

Now I need to figure out a way to waterproof my V1 I guess so it doesn't fry if I get caught in the rain.
      Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Not to be funny, but a Ziplock Freezer bag works.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay
          Not to be funny, but a Ziplock Freezer bag works.
          Heh...I have read posts from some people using bags, but it's amazing how quickly water seems to find a single puncture or open seam...plus I'd need to run a power cord. *shrug* We'll see.

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Working...
          X