Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front brake master/caliper swap ?

Hello to all,
    I am replacing the front master cylinder(with the parts-n-more one) and I have a spare set of calipers, that I have rebuilt, to throw on my 79F. My question is, should I try to drain the system first? Or just keep as much brake fluid in the system, to keep the air out? I know it's gonna be messy either way...

I would change the fluid. You should do it every other year, at the most. I put a P&M master on daily ride, added stainless lines, and rebuilt the calipers. I then went to DOT 5 brake fluid. Have NOT had any problems.
    If you do go to DOT 5, you MUST get ALL the old fluid out of the system. I figured as everything was dry, that was a good time.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I would flush the system pretty well. I advise against DOT 5. It isn't nearly the same stuff. Dot 5 does not absorb water so It will collect at the bottom of the calipers. Dot 3 will take in the water so that when you change your fluid, the moisture will be removed
      United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
      If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
      "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
      "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
      Acta Non Verba

Comment

to dot or not (5)

originally posted by HobbyMan
        I advise against DOT 5. It isn't nearly the same stuff.
        Both good and not so good about 5.
        In a new system I would use it, little better proprties than 3/4.

Putting into old brake lines may not be such a good idea tho.
        Have heard you can "flush" out all the 3/4, but would not like the mess 5 will make if you don't get all the old stuff out

mro
        btw. SS lines rule
        I'm NOT going to try a stoppie on my hot rod XS, (use reg brake fluid with ss lines, drilled rotors etc..) think it could do it

Comment

I am not going to replace the brake lines. I put SS lines on about three years ago. So, I will stick with DOT 3. I was just wondering if anybody had done this without changing the lines. I will probably suck as much as I can out of the master cylinder, hook up the new one, then change the calipers out. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X