Clear All

• Tube tires

Can i mount tubeless tires on rims that use tubes
    1979 XS Eleven
    4-1 Mac Exhaust
    Kuryaken Handgrips
    Crash Bars

No..

The rims are different. Tubless rims have a different bead locking area and tube rims have (at least mine do) 3 holes for the stem. I wanna get tubless rims for my '78 too.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

It can sometimes be done but is very dangerous, go with the above advice and find some tubeless rims.
      1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
      1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
      http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

I've run Michlin tubeless on my 78 1100 for years. The deal is even though the tire is tubless you must use the tube on a tube type rim. Some of the tire sites will give some information on this. Some tires will say right on them for tube type rim use tube. But if you still have doubts don't do it.

-Mike
        Long Live the XS1100

78 XS1100E
        85 VMax

Comment

You can mount the tubeless tires, but MUST use tubes. You cannot mount a tubeless tire on a tube type rim and NOT use a tube, or you may lose a tire while riding!!
          I have both tube and tubeless rims, and have the same model tubeless tire on all rums. If you want to run tubeless, you MUST use ONLY tubeless rims.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

If you really want to run tubeless, get a set of tubeless rims. There was a design change in mid-'79, so they are available. Try ebay or andreas wiess.

Comment

Is it normal to have two 79F 's, one with tubless rims and another to have tube type rims? I have both and they are the original rims as far as I know. And no, do not set up tube rims without a tube
              United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
              If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
              "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
              "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
              Acta Non Verba

Comment

Hey Andrew,

Check your VIN #'s, I would think that the tubed one has a lower Vin#, and the tubeless has a higher/later off the production line Vin#!?
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

on my 78 E I was running a tubeless tire with no tube on the front for about 2 years. I could not figure out why it was not holding air!!! Finally looked at a schematic one day for some reason and said HEY, what is that thing in there between the tire and the rim????? Needless to say I now hold air just fine.

Makes you wonder how many stupid lifethreatening things that people do on a daily basis that they really do not even know about? Maybe I am just dumber than the average joe.
                  Travis Miller
                  1978 E

Comment

Sounds like the PO, not you, who is dumber than the average joe
                    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                    Acta Non Verba

Comment

You should really run tubes in all of the rims that came from the late 70's. The tech just isn't there to create a solid lock on the bead. It's just skechy not to. Most of them are designed with that in mind, the cast wheels that came on our bikes will almost always leak air because of the valves they used in them, and an inconsistant bead. Or so I've been told.
                      "It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees."

Comment

Working...
                      X