Other carb changes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other carb changes...

I shimmed my slide needles the equivilant of what would be raising them 1 notch (.022"). This is the only change I have made and performance has suffered to incude stumbles and poor low end performance.

My question; Should I lean up the idles screws to compensate for the slide needle richening? Or better yet, what would you recommend? I may just remove the shims as it was running pretty damn good before I shimmed.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Leaning out the idle mixture may help. The 80, the screw adds AIR, not fuel. You may need to turn it OUT about 1/4 to 1/8 turn at a time, and try again.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hey Diver,

Well, according to this fine diagram, and what I was told and thought, the pilot screw meters the air fuel mixture, not just the air, so turning it out richens the pilot circuit, turning it in leans it!

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

OK, I may be a GURU, but I can still learn!!
        I guess thats what happens when I only work on the '78 and '79 models. I try to remember most things, and get it wrong sometimes.
        Thanks TC
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hey all.....easy way to remember on all these carbs, Mikuni, Kien, etc.........intake/filter side of butterfly=air screw, intake/cyl. side of butterfly=fuel screw.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

HI there xs........have 'sometimers', are you running stock airbox? If so, at your almost sea level, 110mains are stock sea level jetting. I would put needles back to stock, as your allowing too much fuel by mains with the needle taper raised, and will be rich as the diaphrams raise needles with vacuum drop under accelleration. Your float levels can have a big effect with a lean/rich cond. also. With stock intake housing/stock exhaust, 23mmfloat setting, it should be real close at an almost sea level. Intake modified, pods, etc........exhaust modified, aftermarket 4into2 or 4into1, a guess would be on that year 115mains(2 steps from stock), needles stock single clip position as vacuum drop for diaphrams change no longer having stock airbox. Any intake or exhaust mods change everything as the CV carb diaphrams react differently, so all bets are off with jetting, and every bike responds differently. Just follow those procedures for CVCarb tuning.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

This is a great post. I have decided to change my signature to contain all my mod data.

So
              I have 120 mains
              Stock 42.5 pilots
              floats @ 23mm
              Uni chrome end pods
              4-1 exhaust
              idle screw 3.5 turns out
              Last edited by 81xsproject; 01-22-2007, 11:02 PM.
              '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I can't forget to mention the now
                '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Just a suggestion..............remove spacer washers from needles, 115mains, 25mmfloat setting, re-sync with merc.stix(which you have to do after R&R carb bank cause they'll be off)don't ask how I know. and re-adjust idle mix...........bet it'll be close.

Comment

CV carb tuning website

I used the above site and proceedure with great sucess on my E (K&N in airbox, Jardine 'spagetti' pipes, Dyna coils). I went one size up on the mains and raised the needles one notch. Pilot jets are stock.
                    I noticed my LG sounds 'ragged' as I accellerate (K&N in airbox, 4 into one w/supertrapp) so after I install my bigbore kit and break it in I will follow the same proceedures.

My question is, with my LG, I think carbs 2-3 are one size richer (I have yet to take them off). When rejetting do I want to stay with the jet size differential or go the same all the way across (I'd prefer to have them all the same..... I think)?
                    Last edited by Pat Kelly; 01-23-2007, 03:12 AM.
                    Pat Kelly
                    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Pat,

On my LH, all mains were the same size - 110's. According to the Service Data on Yamaha's web site, the ONLY model that came with different size jets from the factory was the G where 1&4 are 115's and 2&3 are 120's. The Servide Data for the LG (and all other 80-81 models) calls for 110's across the board.

Of course, the Service Data also indicates that the 80 G was the only bike to use a 51Z7 fixed jet needle. All other 80-81 models specify a 5GL16 fixed jet needle, and all 78-79 models specified the 5GZ6 adjustable jet needle.

So now the real question becomes, would the 80-81 model carbs perform better with an 80 G style jet needle and 115's across the board instead of 110's?

Comment

Could the difference in stock jetting be because the Special and Standard exhaust systems may flow differently?

Comment

Originally posted by John
                          Could the difference in stock jetting be because the Special and Standard exhaust systems may flow differently?
                          That, and the 80G was thier first attempt at meeting US emissions? I'm guessing the Standard was the first to be thru the production line in 80 (79).

Comment

Working...
                          X