Greasing the Driveshaft Splines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greasing the Driveshaft Splines

Hi Guys, I've been reading the various dialogue about the driveshaft splines and keeping them greased as the grease fitting dosen't allow the grease to contact the neccesary area.

I also have a manual and do most of my work on the bike but just wondering, to remove the final drive assembly I'm assuming I need to remove the back wheel and all and unbolt the final drive assembly in order to do this grease job? Is that correct?

One more item, is there anything I need to watch for when pulling this apart that may fall out or fly off into space!!? Springs,clips, fittings etc.?

Thanks for your help! It's -10c here now so may as well get the old maintence done now while I'm bored!

Thanks again,
    Cam

That is correct, camerson, you need to remove the rear wheel and the final drive in order to properly grease the splines. While you're in there, also apply a liberal dab of grease to the spline where the hub sits on the final drive.

About the only thing you want to pay attention to is the order of the spacers, caliper holder, etc when you remove the axle.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Sline greasing

Thanks Ken, I figured that but just wanted a second opinion on it and I appreciate your fast reply. Thanks again, have a great day out there in God's country! I love that area where you are.
      Cam

Comment

Hey Lisk,

Did you see this tech tip posted by Ken regarding the greasing process?! The photos show there is a SPRING on the end of the shaft to aid in maintaining its position, it won't necessarily bounce out, but you will want to be sure it's there when you put it back together!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Spline Grease

Thanks for the input guys. I did the job yesterday and it was fine. There was a lot of grease in there but not so much on the splines! Thanks again, I certainly appreciate this forum, it's helped me a lot over the last few years.
          Cam

Comment

Working...
          X