xj 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xj 1100

I have a chance to pick up an xj 1100 for $600.00 its in decent shape but first gear is out is it worth that ?

worth less than that to me, anyways what condition is it in?
    it will be a marriage, are you ready for that?
    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
    History
    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
    79 yamaha xs1100f
    03 honda cbr 600 f4
    91 yamaha fzr 600
    84 yamaha fj 1100
    82 yamaha seca 750
    87 yamaha fazer
    86 yamaha maxim x
    82 yamaha vision
    78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

If the rest of the bike is in good shape, then $600 ain't bad. If it is needing any rare (all) parts, then it could end up costing you a bundle in the end.

Comment

xj 1100

the bike is complete runs its actually at my local yamaha dealer i think he would take $500 cash for it. I know theres other threads n transmission repairs on here and i'm pretty good on a bike been working on them for years . What do you guys think the cost for parts might be ?

Comment

Cost can be as little as $0 if you know your way around a wrench. You can do the repair yourself, and not have to buy any hard parts. You could be even more frugal and make your own gaskets. You could pay a machine shop to do the work, or you could spend HUNDREDS to bu new sets of gears. Your choice. Do a search for 'Dremel fix' or 'Black and Decker fix' or any first or second gear fix. The procedure is well documented in the pages here.

Comment

NO... That's a terrible price and these bikes aren't worth owning... Just walk away and tell me EXACTLY where this bike is!

If the bike is in pretty good shape AND running, I personally would grab it up since I know what's involved with fixing the gears. If you have turned wrenches on bikes before, you'll find out that these bikes are pretty user friendly. The XS's are prone to 2nd gear going out... but the XJ seems to be bad about 1st gear. All that's happened is that the dogs aren't engaging into your gear very far, and they tend to round off a bit, then won't hold pressure. The dremmel fix takes these rounded parts off, and you actually shave them to where it pulls the gears together a bit. There's also a washer that you change the position on on the spindle and it makes the dogs engage that much further.

Maybe too much info for you at this point, but I paid $1000 for mine in much worse shape, and don't regret it a bit. If you plan on just buying it to re-sell it, these bikes aren't good investments. You'll end up puting much more time and money into them than you could ever get out.... but they will pay you back for your efforts when you ride them! Just hang on and let it show you...

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Hey Tod,

You paid more because you got a HYBRID!!
              T.C.

Scooters, make sure you find the tips from the MAIN FORUM PAGE, not just the links in the Yellow column, the newer tips with photos are NOT linked thru the Yellow Column!
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
              X