Turning the bike over....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning the bike over....

As I mentioned, I will show my method of turning the bike over for tranny work. First remove the battery, drain middle and final drive, drain oil, drain carbs, remove front wheel and fender, side covers, tank, seat, mufflers and pipes, etc. Then hook up a come-along like this...

Then lift it while holding it steady using the fork tubes between you legs. When you get to this stage it's still pretty stable...

Lifting it a little more it becomes unstable and wants to turn over by itself, just be careful and it's really easy to turn.....

Here it's ready for some serious wrenching. Just put something under it to support it while you work.

Last edited by planedick; 01-18-2007, 09:17 PM.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Hey that looks really great. If I ever get a place where I can hang my bike I will definately remember that (also possibly useful if you drop something down the case )
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Ingenious!
      80 XS1100SG
      81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Reminds me of a guy I knew way back in day. I stopped by to see what he was up to and he had his 74 Z1 turned upside down like a bicycle working on it. I dont believe he worried about gas or the battery or oil but he did remove the mirrors, I couldnt believe it! Hes the same guy that used to grind down his own valve shims if they needed to be thinner
        1993 ZX11D
        1979 CBX
        1973 Z1
        2001 ZX12R

Comment

Very Nice PlaneDick good work
          Excellent pictures!

I think I would also drop the Oil pan as well before flipping
          as Would hate to have a bunch of crap in oil pan run back thru the motor.. metal filings and what not ect..just something to think for people deciding to do this.Hopefully not me

Comment

Could the same thing be accomplished by building a cradle and laying it over on its side? I did this with a project bike to get to the secondary shaft and it worked fine.
            "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Oh sure, go for the obvious! I like things on the ground. Somehow I feel safer that way.

Originally posted by LoHo
              Could the same thing be accomplished by building a cradle and laying it over on its side? I did this with a project bike to get to the secondary shaft and it worked fine.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I agree..

I should have removed the pan before turning it over. Luckily all the steel junk was on the magnetic plug and it looked like the other dirt stuck in the residual oil in the bottom of the pan. I was concerned at first because the oil pump screen was covered by junk like gasket material. At least the screen did it's thing.
                You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                Drilled airbox
                Tkat fork brace
                Hardly mufflers
                late model carbs
                Newer style fuses
                Oil pressure guage
                Custom security system
                Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I like 'em on the ground too, which is why testing the tensile strength of my rafters with the carcass of a big bike gives me pause. Just cover a short stack of 2x4 chunks with carpet, place them under the frame contact points, and lay it over.

Nice pics, though!
                  "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Working...
                  X