No announcement yet.

Crank bearings? Do they need replacing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crank bearings? Do they need replacing?

Hi All,
    I've still got my engine cases split and *still* waiting on my left seal...anyhew, when I pulled the cases apart, one of the bearings fell off and I put it right back where it belongs in the correct orientation...however... I think I notcied that it was two colors where the crank rides - I think it was silver and a bit of copper...would this mean I need to replace my bearings?
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

You may need to. If it's apart, I would do a quick check with plastigauge. It should only take about 1/2 hour, and will tell you for sure.
    If you are the one who just got the crank bearing kit from ebay, I just got the rod kit. The crank will only need one of the sizes, so we may be able to trade parts once I start the rebuild on my spare engine.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Snow,

The copper is the base metal, so that bearing is worn through the tin cladding and needs to be replaced. Ray is right, the plastiguage will tell you the clearance, but if you see copper, it's trashed.

Comment

Sorry DiverRay that was me

You almost maxed me out there I am in the middle of rebuilding my Sport engine at the moment. I found my crank was badly worn on the mains so I got another crankshaft from Germany, hence the need for a new set of crank bearings.

From the numbers it looks like I will need 2 blacks and 3 browns out of the kit but I plan on checking with plastiguage as well. I thought that once I am sorted I would offer the rest for sale as I'm sure depending on what is used there might be enough left to maybe sort out another crankshaft.

DiverRay, perhaps we could swap the leftovers? Crank for Conrod bearings!

Brgds, Shappers.
        Last edited by Shappers; 01-17-2007, 11:42 AM.
        '84 Sport

Comment

If you all don't mind me throwing my two cents worth in, but if you use the plastigauge just make sure you clean all the oil off the crank and every surface for the bearings as it can give you false readings. Also rotate the crank 180 degrees and check again. Good luck!
          Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
          87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
          93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
          71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
          69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Ray,

Which color crank bearing(s) do you need? I have a full set.

Comment

Originally posted by ccogswel
              If you all don't mind me throwing my two cents worth in, but if you use the plastigauge just make sure you clean all the oil off the crank and every surface for the bearings as it can give you false readings. Also rotate the crank 180 degrees and check again. Good luck!
              Hi Chris,

Thanks for this advice, I didn't realise this. I just got some plastiguage but I have never used it before.

Brgds, Shappers.
              '84 Sport

Comment

Don't rotate the crank with the plastigage in it. Remove and remeasure with another bit-o-plastigage. (I know you already knew that but I felt compelled to say it anyway)
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Hi Shappers, You are welcome. Just glad to be able to help a little.

Pat, You are right, Thanks for jumping in. Better safe then sorry.

After all how many times have we all had to redo something twice over something so simple.

Or is it just my luck
                  Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
                  87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
                  93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
                  71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
                  69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Randy,
                    I have NOT started the engine rebuild yet. I'm just trying to get the parts together. Once I have the crank checked, I'll know what I need. It may be a few months, as I don't have the cash to work on everything at once.
                    Thanks for the offer, and I may pm you once I get there.
                    Ray
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                    X