New Ruby Red paint number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ruby Red paint number

Anyone out there know the PPG, Dupont, etc. number for 1980 New Ruby Red? I want to paint my bike back to original, and would love to have a number for the auto paint supplier. Thanks in advance, Kim
    1980 XS100G Standard, Full Dresser
    1980 Honda CB125S
    1984 Honda Nighthawk 650
    1986 BMW K100RT
    2004 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic

Two choices to a match..............use a side cover where the paint on underside isn't faded and have it scanned, or use a fish-eye chart out in the sunlight and match it up. The Japenese pigments are hard to match, so the latter would be your best choice. Color by name means nothing if you want an exact match. If you read the thread I just posted, you'll see I just went through that, and the problems I ran into. Originally I believe the tanks, fairings, and side covers were done with a laquer then clear-coated. In my opinion, Centari is a better choice than Dupont, but that's just my 2cents.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks Motoman,
      I owned a XS11 26 years ago the same color, and I had a trunk painted, back then I got the paint from Yamaha, and yes indeed it was laquer. I'll try the fisheye method. I remember Centari from when I worked in a body shop 14 years ago. Kim
      1980 Honda CB125S
      1984 Honda Nighthawk 650
      1986 BMW K100RT

Comment

Paint color

Yeppers Kim..........also found out today when picking up can of primer for plastics from paint supplier that Cantari is a subsidary of Dupont...........go figure.........Brant.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I thought so but was not sure as when i worked in the body shop I was behind a D/A sander and not in the paint booth, but I thought Centari is their trade name for acrilic enamal as Imron is thier trade name for Polyurithene. Most of our painters used Centari and added hardener to it as it was almost as good as Imron. I am sure some painters on this site will straighten us out, LOL. thanks for the info , Anyway next year my bike will look as if it was new, same color and striping. BTW I bought a new one in 1980, what memories!!!!! Kim
          1980 Honda CB125S
          1984 Honda Nighthawk 650
          1986 BMW K100RT

Comment

Knowing afer the fact now............but sure you'll have better luck knowing to use primer when taken down to plastic. Were out of luck on laquer as EPA says 'No". That's okay as all the new enamals lay out flat with no fish scaling, so most anyone can do a nice job accidently..........living proof here.

Comment

Working...
            X