81 Venturer paint color!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 81 Venturer paint color!

Have repainted my sidecovers and emblems(emblems a pain, handpainted&cleared). GM's Indiglo Blue is not even close to original! The correct perfect match in single stage is Carbon Blue-Black, Code:210,Car:2000 Toyota. The American pigments are different than the Japenese ones, hence Toyota, There are a few more perfect match choices if you go two-stage(base coat/clear coat. What I had mixed up in a rattle can(with a good nozzle) at the automotive paint supplier is enamel. Washed cover with a strong deterget(the purple stuff) lightly wet sanded with 600, dried in oven, three coats letting it "flash" between coats. One came out perfect, other one I had sanded some chips down to plastic base in spots, and paint crackled in those places, so have to do it over again tomorrow. If someone has some ideas so this doesn't happen again(go figure, cleaned and sanded both the same way) let me know. Figured I'd go to auto paint supplier tomorrow and get a can of primer for plastic as a base and sealer. I have an idea what happened, but if a paint "guru" here could tell me for sure, would be a big help. Thanks, Brant.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Yep, primer is the answer. For some reason enamel does not like plastic. I had the same thing but I actually brush painted two thick coats of primer on and allowed to dry.

The primer filled any imperfections and by the time I sanded the brush marks away it was as smooth as silk.
    1981 XJ550RH
    1978 XS1100E The Wildebeast
    1978 XS1100F X Streem
    1980 XS1100G (with an E motor)(parts bike)
    Jet/Mod Calculator
    Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

I was told by the old guy (read 'experienced') that repaired my Pacifico fairing that laquer paint adheres to the plastic of the sidecovers (on the molecular level) as opposed to emamel which 'covers' but dosent adhere to plastic.
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Thanks guys!.............my thoughts exactly, just needed an affirmation. The one cover not being sanded to the plastic in places came out nice. The primer for plastics will "bite" into the plastic base, and should work. Ironicley, they(paint supplier) even suggested the Laquer paint code, but wasn't sure if the original was a laquer with a clear coat or not, and knew if it wasn't the solvents in laquer would break down solvents in enamal base and same thing would of happened. Can shoot enamal on laquer, but not he other way around. Never thought about the chemicals in plastic causing the same or similar reaction. Gonna sand down the mess and do the primer for plastics, then color.........and that paint code color in single stage is a PERFECT match for the original Yamaha Indiglo Blue.........Thanks again, Brant.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
        X