No announcement yet.

'Weak point' on 1980 XS11 Frame??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you best friend is here, let me know when you drive into town. You, me and Webbcraft can get together for a ride. There's some pretty roads out in the Hill Country.
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

sounds good

that's quite a trip for the Blue Streak, maybe I will put some more miles on the FD swap?
      MDRNF
      79F.....Not Stock
      80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

About six hours from The City to Austin. My folks used to live in Shawnee and I used to live in Belton, about 60 miles north of here. With 55 mph limits, that trip took about six hours. You might could shave some time from that now.
        The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
        1969 Yamaha DT1B
        Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

I would tie together the triangle just above the swingarm pivot.
          Using same diameter tubes with .065" wall. I would weld tubes horizonatally (total of 3 extra) that form a rectangle around the battery box at the same level as the existing one in forward part of battery box floor. Phew that's a lot of words and nobody probably gets it anyway? Next would be to reinforce the steering head and front down tubes and cross braces under the engine. The swingarm could also be braced, but with light weight tubing. The main problem I see is the the basic cradle has such a large open area that it's going to flex a lot. I converted to solid motor mounts to tighten up the frame bit. But it's still not using the engine as a stressed member so results are going to be limited. I don't carry heavy weights for touring so I don't worry much about the rear subframe.
          Cheers, 50gary

Comment

solid mounts

my rear solid mounts are finished and will use those and keep the front upper/lower rubber to take out the vibes....chop
            MDRNF
            79F.....Not Stock
            80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

It's like my problem on this thread:

Finally got some answers following this line.Frame
              Last edited by The Dutchy; 01-17-2007, 05:39 PM.
              Freedom is speaking the longing for life when the opinions of the ages inform your experience that death is all that awaits you.
              http://www.danasoft.com/sig/TheDutchy.jpg

Comment

Working...
              X