Valve shims oddity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve shims oddity

is it wierd that all may valves take shims between 270 and 285 except one that is 255 or less?
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Re: Valve shims oddity

That is normal. If you find way-excessive gaps (like needing shims over 310) then you have problems.

Originally posted by 81xsproject
    is it wierd that all may valves take shims between 270 and 285 except one that is 255 or less?
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Shims

I received several extra shims with the Pathfinder. While taking care of some shim problems I discovered that all I have are 270 or bigger and I was looking for 255. Further checking showed I could change two intake shims,1 & 4, solved all the clearance problems. I also have extra carb parts for those of you who need something you can't find. 1 complete set of jets as I had carbs rebuilt when they didn't need it, so all the parts are still good.
      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
      Drilled airbox
      Tkat fork brace
      Hardly mufflers
      late model carbs
      Newer style fuses
      Oil pressure guage
      Custom security system
      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I have several 255's. Are those extra carb parts possibly a slide needle off an 80's set of carbs? Either way if you can't swap a local shop or anything I can definately swap you what you need.
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

carb parts...

Actually I have two complete sets of carbs broken down in peices. All with new looking diaphrams, but I'm thinking that one will probably come in handy later and the other I would be willing to part with. I don't know what difference there was in carbs of different years. I rather expected they would be the same. These have the metal floats if that is any help.
          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
          Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
          Drilled airbox
          Tkat fork brace
          Hardly mufflers
          late model carbs
          Newer style fuses
          Oil pressure guage
          Custom security system
          Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Hey Dick,

There are considerable differences between the carbs from the 78-79 vs. the 80-81. The vacuum slides are different sizes and not interchangeable. The float valve seats and needles are also different. Different sized mains, pilot jet towers are capped, pilot screws are exposed/outside, bowls vent to upper "T" fittings on side of carb body instead of thru bell, these are several of the main differences vs. the later models. You can swap entire banks of carbs of course with little modification between the years of bike they are put on, but if you want/need spare parts for you GOOD carbs, you'll want to keep the ones that are of the same style/year set!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

originally posted by planedick
              broken down in peices. All with new looking diaphrams
              If to be stored for a long period of time rubber pieces should be kept in an air tight container. Ozone in particular can damage the soft rubber over time.

mro

Comment

Working...
              X