Nut down, not found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nut down, not found

Well, I dropped a cam bearing nut down the hole. I fished with a magnet antanna, no luck. So, I removed the exhaust, drained the oil that I just put in the other day, and pulled the pan. I have spent most of the day digging around in there. I have fished with the magnet and crammed my hand in every razor edged opening at every crank position. I leaned the bike as far as I could and still hold it while beating on the drivers pegs with a mallet to dislodge it if it was stuck on something then went back to cramming and magnet-fishing still with no luck.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I really really don't want to have to tear off the head and jugs.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

There is a shelf in the tunnel where the cam chain tensioners pivot. Did you check to see if it landed there?

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

yeah, it is not there. I have turned the engine over and don't think it is on the primary chain or anything.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

ah, that was what I wanted to ask... is the antanna mag the way to go or is there something better?
        '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I knew it, I just KNEW it!! While looking at my oil pan for like the third time and right on top of the little metal plates that are screwed to the pan there it was looking like it was there with a purpose. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!
          '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

shelf

That's funny, I dropped the new cam chain link in mine and got it with a magnet shoved into the end of a spark plug wire...because the straight antennae magnet did't work....glad you found it.
            MDRNF
            79F.....Not Stock
            80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Working...
            X