Pod Filters and breather piping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pod Filters and breather piping

Just thought I would share the design of my breather piping while replacing the airbox with pods for those that may be interested.

Had a few discussions on other forums about the best way to do it and came back with some interesting differences of opinion.

SOme just put a filter in it and some just leave the breather open, but I built mine to be as close as possible to replicate the design of the airbox.

Photo's say a thousand word so:

Made from stainless to keep it looking shmicko
    WHat do all the other pod runners use???

Still need to work out how to pipe the breathers from the carbs though. Thinking I might just put a couple of fuel filters in them and leave them open to atmosphere.

Opinions?
    1981 XJ550RH
    1978 XS1100E The Wildebeast
    1978 XS1100F X Streem
    1980 XS1100G (with an E motor)(parts bike)
    Jet/Mod Calculator
    Speed/Gearing Calculator

Very nice work, by the way.

I have been running individual filters for years now and I use a small K&N crankcase filter on tubing from the vent. As far as carb bowl vents, I just use two small filters on top of a short piece of tubing, pointed up above the bowls. You cannot even see them unless you get in there.

This setup seems to work very well and is simple to do.
    Mike Giroir
    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Is there any benefit to having them going back into the system?
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by 81xsproject
        Is there any benefit to having them going back into the system?
        It creates a more positive crank case ventilation as it takes away the bad smell.
        Looks good Goon.
        I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.... It smells like......victory

Comment

Probably depends on environmental issues and law enforcement.

WHen I built this system, the bike was unlicensed so had to go over the police inspection pit. Keeping it piped back in the system keeps the emission control side of it close to original.

It also helps to keep your oil a bit cleaner by keeping a slight vacuum in the case sucking out any fuel and combustion gases that may get past the rings.

Not gonna break any engines without it but it can't hurt either.
          1981 XJ550RH
          1978 XS1100E The Wildebeast
          1978 XS1100F X Streem
          1980 XS1100G (with an E motor)(parts bike)
          Jet/Mod Calculator
          Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

Working...
          X