How do I remove my baffles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I remove my baffles

I was told to stick a broom handle in the muffler and hit it with a hammer. I want to know if there is a better way. They are the stock 79 special muffs.
    "It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees."

There is NOT a good way to remove them. If the mufflers are in good shape, you can probably trade with another member for an aftermarket muffler. If they are in poor shape, it would be easier to cut them off about 2" AFTER they start the flare, and replace them with HD mufflers. Those can usually be had for almost nothing, as the HD owners want the "loud bike" to make up for th efact it's SLOW.
    JMHO
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

They are in great shape. there is a smudge from PO's Nikes, but Im sure it will come off. No rust. If anyone wants em.

I would like it to be a little louder. My dad rides a HD sportster and I would love to not only be faster but louder too

Comment

If you want load, get the MAC turnout pipes. Eliberty has them on his ride, You can hear them VERY well if your next to him. They are NOT as bad from in front or behind.
        Ray
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

But if you want to be louder, then just remove the baffles from the TurnOuts. A guy we knicknamed Harley Dave showed up to a rally IIRC in Pa., running his rebuilt XS11 with those with NO BAFFLES. Hence the knick!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Stock mufflers in good shape fetch more on german ebay than the bikes themselves.

LP
            If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
            (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Stock mufflers in good shape fetch more on german ebay than the bikes themselves.

LP
              If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
              (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Huh... maybe I'll do that. I've never sold or looked at anything on German EbAy before. I'll look into it today. Thanks

Comment

fat boys and stock head pipes

i just installed a new mac and i think it'll take me a few weeks to make sure it stays on,

my stock pipes for the 79 standard look great installed, however, when off the bike you can see some dime size rust areas on the muffs, less severe on the left side, still very usable.

the left actually stress cracked and the muff can be pulled away completely from the head pipe.po hose clamped it on hey stainless steel is cool and it works, did for me!

so if you can wait and wanted a alternative, i won some fat boy take offs, in great condition from fleabay.

now you don't have to distroy a mint exhaust and feel gilty about it,

like i said my carbs run like crap now, and i need to buy a sync stick from whipme, so it'll be a while and if i like the way the 4 to 1 's run , the old pipes and fat boy are available, just make me an offer i can't refuse
                  "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                  History
                  85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                  79 yamaha xs1100f
                  03 honda cbr 600 f4
                  91 yamaha fzr 600
                  84 yamaha fj 1100
                  82 yamaha seca 750
                  87 yamaha fazer
                  86 yamaha maxim x
                  82 yamaha vision
                  78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

All of my bikes have excellent stock exhaust. one has some scratches and rust on the header from the PO. This thread has got me thinking. What I want to do is preserve them and put them on in a few years. What type of exhaust is available that is cheap and looks close to the stock setup. I was thinking about sportster muffs but I need a set of headers to go on. I want to keep the stock jetting. And as I said, I don't want to spend a lot of money. What about SS headers. Anyone made them? Could I just use my school's pipe bender and SS pipe and make a set of headers to put some sportster muffs on? This would be more expensive, but I can use school machine equipment( mig, tig, and arc welders, pipe benders, etc) Also, I too am looking for something a little louder.
                    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                    Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                    X