Brakes too tight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes too tight?

I just recently took both my wheels off and got new tires. When I put them back on and got the bike on the ground the front brakes seemed to be grabing. They never did this before and the lever never got squeezed. The only thing I can think of is the 10 degrees outside, but I'm not sure.

Suggestions?
    "It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees."

You would have pushed the pistons back slightly into the calipers to get the wheels off and then on again. That might have dislodged a bit of spooge in either or both brakes, which could be causing some dragging now.

At the same time, the discs might have picked up a bit of grease or other contamination from being handled, etc. That might cause some grabbing.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

That's what I thought, but all you guys are smarter than me so I like to ask you before I do something silly.

Think I should just ride it a little and see if it clears up? After I clean the rotors?
      "It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees."

Comment

Do what Ken Said but since you mentioned the cold I thought I might mention that my fronts squeek a little more when it's frigid out.
        1981 XS1100SH

Comment

If your bike is a special check that the RH rotor is centered in the grove in the fork tube. If not lossen the pinch bolt in the RH fork tube and re-center the disk in the grove by pulling or pushing on the fork tube as needed and retighten
          wingnut
          81 SH (Daily Ride)
          81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
          81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
          82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
          81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Check your "spooge" Hole. I wasn't haven't having any problems untill one week they started to grab. Just a thought. Is it the front or the back or both?
            United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
            If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
            "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
            "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
            Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
            X