Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I lost my keys - where to get replacements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I lost my keys - where to get replacements?

I seem to have lost my keys. In case they don't turn up I'm going to need a solution. How much to have a new set done (typically) and how do I go about doing it?

Ben
    '80 XS1100g
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

"A" new set? You mean, two new sets, right?

How many keys does your bike have? Stock has one key for the ign, helmet lock, and gas cap, and on the XJ, seat lock and steering lock. If you had more than one key, someone has already replaced something with a part from a different bike. If that's the case, while you're at it, you can get the 'smith to key them all the same so you only need one key (and a spare) in the future.

I always carry a spare, I learned the hard way, many years ago, just putting around town, managed to lose the key while popping into a store. major PITA, easily prevented.

There is a code on the ignition from which a locksmith or dealer can make a new key. It's cheaper when the ignition is off the bike. A locksmith can also work without the code.
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Thanks Mike. Actually, it wasn't *me* who lost my keys - I've never done that - it was someone else. They were on my keyring I use for my Honda car. I was home visiting my parents and one of them moved my car. After that I never found my keys. I'm hoping they will turn up sometime soon, but I doubt it. I'll call the dealer *and* the locksmith for prices.

Ben

Formerly:
      1982 XS650
      1980 XS1100g
      1979 XS1100sf
      1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Dealer will not be able to make you a key, it must be factory ordered since the XS had a 4 digit key code and not a 5 digit. Of course your dealer may be different. Local locksmith has blanks and computer, just punch in key code and get new key...easy $5 each.
        Gary Granger
        Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
        2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Mike, AFAIK stock has one key for ignition, steering lock, gas cap, side panel and helmet lock. Didn't see so many locks stock on a bike before ever

LP
          If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
          (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

ah yes, side cover, forgot about that, XJ doesn't do that one, but has a seat lock instead, and the steering lock is on the steering column, not in the ignition switch.

Comment

My luck held out again. Found the keys. Now I'll go make some dupes.

Ben

Formerly:
              1982 XS650
              1980 XS1100g
              1979 XS1100sf
              1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X