Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it?

Hi All,

I recently picked up an abandoned Yamaha and i cannot seem to find the model. I went to two Yamaha dealers and they were not helpful at all. In fact they knew little to nothing about their own bikes. After searching the internet, i found pictures of the XS11 and noticed it looked extremely similar to my bike and also shares specs with it. It is a 4 cylinder and shaft driven. When i picked the bike up the only furniture that was left was the gas tank cover which is purple and the seat was rusted out. The VIN number on my bike is 2H7-003858. The number on the case is C4099. If this sounds like a XS11, it would be nice if you could send a link or an address where i could find a manual for this bike. If needed I can post pictures for your close review.

Thank you for your help, time, and speedy response...
    dblsmack

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=&threadid=396

My guess is that it is a 1979 Yamaha XS11 F (Standard). Got any pics?

Does it says 1101 or 1102 cc stamped on the motor? (I believe it's near where the cylinders and bottom end meet up)
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Thank you very much for the quick reply,
      now i can get something done.

i will post pics shortly

Comment

I would look for the 1101cc on the motor but right now it is covered with grease but i will post later in this thread with pictures and more info

thanks

Comment

Here are the pics

http://www.hidebehind.com/52EFCB78

www.hidebehind.com/4B4B525E

Comment

I think Snow jumped the gun with the digit. 79s had -020XXX, so that would make dblsmack's bike a '78, being 2H7-003858.

There is a tag on the steering neck that has an actual date, too. I would guess that it'll say 10/77 or 11/77. (Rhona's last 6 digits are 0060XX and her b-day is November '77 )
            -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
            '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
            ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

Yeah, I may have gotten the year wrong - but that's definitely an XS11 Standard

It's got standard forks, but special turn signals and possibly special headlight/headlight bucket. Looks like you need a set of carb boots.

Comment

When did it say 1101 and when did it say 1102. Why did it change?
                United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                Acta Non Verba

Comment

I believe it swtiched from one to the other in 80 models? I believe it has something to do with slightly different heads, but I could be wrong

Comment

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I was pleasantly surprised that this bike is that old because, apart from the seat and small spots of rust, it looks very good. The bike was poorly cared for until I picked it up. Now all I need is a manual and my friend and I can start restoring it. If you guys know any good places to get XS manuals please let me know. Thanks much for helping me out, and as my restoration work progresses, I'll be sure to hang around here and hopefully get some advice and general help from you guys...

dblsmack

Comment

Originally posted by dblsmack
                      Hey Guys,

Now all I need is a manual and my friend and I can start restoring it. If you guys know any good places to get XS manuals please let me know.

dblsmack
                      Ebay is the cheapest around for the Clymer , but if you can`t wait like me the dealer should have one (mine did)

Gerard
                      04 Roadstar (starglide)
                      80 midnight special

Comment

Look for the Clymers that has the c o l o r wiring diagrams. That book will have a banner in the upper right corner of the front cover stating it has a color diagram.

Comment

As well as getting a manual, search through the forums and how-to's posted here on the site. Tons of info you can't find in the manual, or anywhere else for that matter.

Good luck and happy restoring!!
                          80 XS1100SG
                          81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Originally posted by John
                            Look for the Clymers that has the c o l o r wiring diagrams. That book will have a banner in the upper right corner of the front cover stating it has a color diagram.
                            Man i wish my dealer had one of them, but then again how many young parts guys even know what an XS11 was.

Gerard
                            04 Roadstar (starglide)
                            80 midnight special

Comment

Welcome dblsmack, let me take a wild guess.......are you here in Junction?........if so, can maybe help with the lack of seat I heard about down at All-Terrain today.
                              Last edited by motoman; 01-10-2007, 08:28 PM.
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                              X