Shift Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Cover

I have the shift cover off for polish. The aligment marks look good and there isn't any wear on the pins. Anything else I should look for while I in here?
    wingnut
    81 SH (Daily Ride)
    81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
    81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
    82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
    81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Hey Dave, are you talking about the alignment marks on the geared pieces, the one from the shift lever and the other on the shift pawl....the DOTS? Or are you talking about the notch in the arm of the shift pawl, and the corresponding notch/slot on the shift drum, which should be together when it second gear?!

How has your downshifting been? The shift lever return spring is there, but it can look good and still be weakened, don't know any way to test/measure it's strength?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Might as well put in a new spring as TC suggested. $3.55 from Yamaha. I just did it and after one brief winter ride downshifting seemed better. Easy cheap job.
      80 SG
      81 SH in parts
      99 ST1100
      91 ST1100

Comment

"the alignment marks on the geared pieces, the one from the shift lever and the other on the shift pawl....the DOTS? Or are you talking about the notch in the arm of the shift pawl, and the corresponding notch/slot on the shift drum, which should be together when it second gear?!"

All of the above TC. Everything looked OK and down shifts are very smooth on this one. In fact they make less noise than an up shift???? I did look at the spring real good but with out knowing the specs on it can't test it.

Thanks
        Dave
        wingnut
        81 SH (Daily Ride)
        81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
        81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
        82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
        81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
        X