frame welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frame welding

I need to weld a bracket on my frame for my new fender and I'm worryed about damaging the electrial system other than removing
    the battery and unpluging the black box are there any other steps I should take to safegard the eletrial system ???

Dusty
    81 special aka Wicked Wanda

The path will be directly thru the ground so I would keep it as close to the weld area as possible. As long as you unhook any electronic portions from ground you should be OK. I have done this on my muffler without any ill effects.

Comment

I think you're good to go, Dusty. I've even heard of people arc welding w/ tci plugged in, gasp, but not me, that's too rare a part.
      Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

I had a bit welding done on SWMBO's 'H just before our trip this past summer. I had the seat off for access to the area that needed work, and unplugged the brain box just to be safe. The only thing I forgot was to stuff something into the throat of the snout that sticks out of the top of the airbox. You should have seen both the welder and I jump when a wee spark flew up the snout and lit up the gas vapours inside the airbox. (I had just driven the bike there!) When I saw the puff of smoke coming from the left sidecover, I was sure the battery had blown up. Once we verified that nothing was hurt, or still burning, I stuffed a rag in the snout and the welder finished up the job without further excitement.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

frame welding

I am a welder by trade,you can safely weld the bracket on(presuming you know how to weld)as a previous posting stated keep a GOOD ground as close to the weld area as possible!I also would disconnect the TCI and battery connections.also if you are doing any welding or grinding in your shop make it a point to not do the job then run in to see your favorite episode of Sessamie Street,some errant sparks can smoulder for a while before flaming.So hang around for a little while after any such jobs....hope this helps...Will

Comment

Working...
          X