Extending Carb Diaphram Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extending Carb Diaphram Life

While I had my carbs apart to check out shimming the needles, I inspected one of the diaphrams. I noticed a worn spot where the outer rubber had been worn to the mesh. The inside was okay, for now. What I also found was that the wear spot was from where it was rubbing the part I circled in red. When I rubbed that spot with my finger, it had a little rough spot. This made me wonder about the other carbs. I found that 2 others of the four had the same issue. So, I smoothed them out with 600 grit sand paper along with the rest of the chamber the diaphram might contact. Maybe this could help prolong the life of the diaphrams, maybe not. However, at almost $100 a pop, it can't hurt.

'81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Huuummmmm, Good Tip!!! What brand rubberized spray have you guys had the best luck with? Will be addressing this soon....
    Thanks
    "Elvira"
    '80 XS1100LG

Comment

You just voided your warranty! :-)
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Thanks skids

Was expecting something totally different.
        First chuckle of a verrrrry long day, thanks

mro

Comment

Yea Well, I just ended a very SHI**Y day! Don't see the Humor! Had noticed some worn/weak spots on mine last gone through. OH WELL, never mind! After re-read, does sound kinda stupid.
          Sorry 81...............
          "Elvira"
          '80 XS1100LG

Comment

Don't see the Humor!

That’s OK, .....your from Illinois

Have had a few diaphragms out (all were good)
            Never noticed any wear marks.

Could be a sign diaphragm is starting to loose its shape???

mro

Comment

Maybe, but I didn't have any wear spots anywhere else on my diaphrams except where they where rubbing the bumps that had rough spots. The one that didn't have a rough spot didn't have a wear mark. Maybe mine have had the misfortune of a heavy handed and tooled PO.
              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Left Coast?

Well, You guys out on the left side are just a little diff. too.........LOL........Just had a bad day!

Here is WHAT I WAS refering to........http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.............just bein' lazy I guess, didn't run search before typed in! ( yea I know.......from Illinois right )
                And 81, Will be checking this for prob. area......Thanks
                Also for your'e reading enjoyment found this..................http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...m&pagenumber=1
                Keep those Slides movin' Smoooooooooooth!!!!
                "Elvira"
                '80 XS1100LG

Comment

Working...
                X