Was the oil cooler an option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was the oil cooler an option?

Was the oil cooler an option or a standard component of a specific model? I have seen it on a XS1100H but not on a XS1100F. Is there a reason why it was not offered for the XS1100F?

Thanks,
    Piero
    Minneapolis

It was also on some non-USA models other than the H.

Don't know their thinking on that, those inscrutable Yamanese.
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

I would guess there is the possibility to upgrade earlier XS1100 models with an oil cooler like the H model ... assuming it's worth it.

Piero

Comment

AFAIK, the oil cooler was a factory option, you could get it on any bike if you asked. I would think that bikes that came with a factory touring package would also have it. My 80G has one, but it does look like it was added at some point, the cooler itself is not the stock one, it is an LP.

I have a poster on my wall of a '78 (XS11 E) that was taken in Holland in 1978 (according to the copywrite) as a promotional thing. The bike is silver with a black engine and a factory oil cooler. So it was an option even in 78.
        Gary Granger
        Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
        2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

I have 78E and it has a cooler. Didn't know they made any of these without one.

LP
          If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
          (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

All european bikes had an oilcooler standard from factory.
            Keep ya bud in the saddle and ya nose in the wind

Comment

Originally posted by xsbobo
              All european bikes had an oilcooler standard from factory.
              Wonder why they did and we (U.S.) didn't???
              Robert
              79 SF

Comment

I believe that we in Europe maintain higher cruising speeds. Espacially in Germany you have no standard speedlimit. So driving for 300 miles doing continously 120-130 mph let get your engine quite hot
                Keep ya bud in the saddle and ya nose in the wind

Comment

I think that at 130 there's enuff airflow to cool the engine. However the oil inside could get too hot...
                  Dunno...

LP
                  If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                  (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Over here [Austrlalia] oil coolers came as standard unlike US models. This caused mayhem in the early days, trying to fit things like four into ones, which where made for the huge US market and as a consequence of US models not being fitted with an oil cooler the header pipes fitted much closer to the frame rails,this sometimes meant the running of non standard oil lines which ruined one engine that i know of. Of course by the early 80s australia had a home grown source of XS11 accesorys

Comment

Working...
                    X